Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mafia Game Theory Discussion. (Merry Christmas)  (Read 5682 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Game Theory Discussion. (Merry Christmas)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »

Massclaiming takes all the fun out of the game, and too many roles have to fakeclaim. Even RVS is better than that.
Name all of the roles that have to fakeclaim. Now name how many of them are town. Since the town does not have to fakeclaim, scum has to stick with whatever choices they make, as do aliens. Sucks to be them.
Oh, that's an easy one. Cop, doctor... Wait, we're talking about Paranormal? Well, how about ALL OF THEM? PWV has to fakecalim to be targeted, agent has to fakeclaim not to be targeted, survivor has to fakeclaim so he wouldn't be called fakeclaiming scum...
Right, but this utilizes the same tactic you use in King of the Mafia. Last I recalled, that worked there, even though there were no set roles. Hmm... odd. It seems you're being selective about what would and wouldn't want to claim.

I mean, wow, that's taking the concept that you don't want your power roles to die... How many of them are there again? What, almost everyone? Durr... Me so dumb. Better protect them all. The only possible way to do that is to be dumb and flail around like usual. What color are my shoes? lol, scum, you broke into my house, knew it!

I mean, don't be an idiot. If you're a Cop, you don't fakeclaim. You use your abilities to find out which one of the people are lying. There's a Medium, moron. They either have to waste a kill on them, or they have to disrupt power roles.

Not only that, but then you can continue to use the Day game as usual. You come up with a Night plan, and you still fight a Day game. You instead actual have the ability to use all of your information.

That might've been a good idea back when you could only have 2 of each role per side or when all the guards were different roles and you had tonnes of them per game.  Now that you can have any number of players per side all doppelgangers can just claim their real role* and be in pretty much no danger of being caught out in that area.  The only people who would be in trouble are aliens, and the exty has plenty of countermeasures** while the other aliens aren't anywhere near as bad as the doppelgangers who you're giving an easy ride.  The only circumstance under which I see this working is if the town happens to have a whole load of guards or something.

* Exceptions: Advanced/ Leader/ tough who can just claim townie/ whatever, and maybe the scientists would lie about their choice of tech.
** Intel, holoform, camoflage, advanced assassin bot to take out problem roles - bearing in mind that he'd be able to tailor his choices based on what the massclaim throws up.
That's the point, isn't it? You WANT people to claim their role, so that you can force people to use their abilities as they do. They can't claim something else. Then, they have to follow a set plan or else something isn't claimed correctly. Not only that, but people stop worrying about last second Doublevoters and overall stupidity that happens on account of people.

And if the Exterminator uses a countermeasure, you have just found out an Exterminator exists. And he's used one of his items. Plus, then he is pretty much FORCED to use an item to block it. You can't look at this from one side. Sure, he has the ability to stop one part of it, but to do so, he's FORCED to use up one of his items. That's way better than his blocking merely one portion of inspections. Limiting scum is what the entire tactic is about.
Pages: 1 [2]