Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone for my workshops, or, is my Mason completely retarded?  (Read 754 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone for my workshops, or, is my Mason completely retarded?
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »

So I am busy building a true mountain home, with expansive halls and entire labyrinths of bedrooms and workshops for my industrious bearded little bastards.   In this noble pursuit, I used the mass dump menu to clear out one of the halls, and dumped all that nice white dolomite into my mason's workshop.  I then promptly removed the dump zone designation, so that the stones are free for his use.  And what do I catch him doing?  Wandering into the depths of my coal mines, nothing less, to fetch other stones to build my many, many doors.  Worst thing is, there is PLENTY of stone lying around on his workshop floor, that has never been dumped or zoned or anything.  What gives??

tl;dr :  my goddam mason ignores nearby stone and wanders fifty miles to pick up rocks for my doors.  WHY?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Stone for my workshops, or, is my Mason completely retarded?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »

When the stones are dumped, they are marked as Forbidden.  You need to un-forbid them first.  Type (d),(b),(c) and then select the area of the workshop and stones.

Also, when your mason decides which stone to use, he chooses the closest stone by straight-line distance, ignoring the actual pathing cost.  So he may decide to grab a stone directly below him, two Z-levels down, rather than one on the same Z-level 3 spaces away, and then have to walk halfway across the map and back to get there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:18:04 pm »

This was the answer(s)!  In thanks, I have commissioned the golden earring Stelidsazir Nekol Kalan, "Washedbridges the Skull of Trails", in your honor.  It menaces with golden spikes.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

Engraved with the image of Spalerite helping with issues on the forums!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

PlainTextMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Babbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »

Designating dump zones and mass designating stone to be dumped is indeed an awesome way to get all your stone in one place. You can always just un-set the Active attribute of the zone itself when you don't need it right now (I-key zone menu). Another useful thing (especially if you want the mason to work with specific stone) is to make small stone stockpiles near the masonry, and set their settings with Q. Also, you should be able to see the {brackets} around forbidden items in lists like the K-menu. If you haven't noticed them yet.

Also, when your mason decides which stone to use, he chooses the closest stone by straight-line distance, ignoring the actual pathing cost.  So he may decide to grab a stone directly below him, two Z-levels down, rather than one on the same Z-level 3 spaces away, and then have to walk halfway across the map and back to get there.
I nevar knewded that. Thanks for pointing it out. So that mason is quite retarded after all.
Quote from: Loud Whispers link=topic=95349.0
5. You haz rage and you must punch things, but you haz no arms. Pray to ARMOK - Dwarf Mantra
This is an exceptional Post, well crafted with paragraphs and encrusted with attempted punctuation, bad non-native-English-speaker glitches. May exhibit great insight and/or stupidity.
Quote from: Aramco link=topic=81421.msg2149268#msg2149268
I hate English. It may be my first language, but I hate it. It doesn't make any sense.