Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Y U NO butcher the rabbits?--Solved! I fail wiki forever  (Read 1598 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Y U NO butcher the rabbits?--Solved! I fail wiki forever
« on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

Sigh.  The butcher's is next to the stockpile, the rabbits brought down by the hunter are in the stockpile.  why are they not being butchered?  I have the labor enabled.  Nothing is forbidden. No one is burrowed. Yet the dwarves with the labor enabled just sort of go "Derp!" and I get a "Urist McDerp cancels butcher: needs non-rotten blah blah blah."  It's right there!  Open your eyes, yeh daft buffoons!

Are rabbits mysteriously non-butcherable for some reason, are my dwarves being dumb, or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:30:35 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Y U NO butcher the rabbits?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:55:12 pm »

From the DF wiki

A small rodent with long ears. It has powerful hind legs which it uses to swiftly avoid predators. It can be found anywhere from forests to deserts.
Rabbits are small domestic animals that can also be found roaming temperate plains. Because of their tiny size, they will not provide food even when mature. This means that they are not usable as livestock, however they may still make decent pets. Be warned that rabbits do indeed, breed like rabbits. Non-pet rabbits will require a Pasture to survive.
Warning, if hunted they will not be butchered due to the lack of Food that they give, this includes bones and such.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:27:45 pm by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Y U NO butcher the rabbits?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 07:29:55 pm »

Duh.  Here i just assumed if they were huntable, they could be butchered!  I should have checked the wiki.  Thanks for letting me know in a kindly manner :)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Y U NO butcher the rabbits?--Solved! I fail wiki forever
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:55:36 am »

Weird. I eat rabbit quite often as my sister raises them. I can guarantee that an adult rabbit has enough meat on it for a meal, as one is more than enough for a dinner for three people (assuming you have it with rice or some other vegetable in a meal)

Though with dwarves only eating every few months I can see how a rabbit wouldn't be filling to them as I assume that food intake might not be done yet since Toady only recently changed the meat amounts produced by creatures when you butcher them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:00:13 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:18:10 am »

Weird, the hunter should drop the body in the butcher and it would explode in thousands of meals...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 07:43:51 am »

Weird. I eat rabbit quite often as my sister raises them. I can guarantee that an adult rabbit has enough meat on it for a meal, as one is more than enough for a dinner for three people (assuming you have it with rice or some other vegetable in a meal)

Though with dwarves only eating every few months I can see how a rabbit wouldn't be filling to them as I assume that food intake might not be done yet since Toady only recently changed the meat amounts produced by creatures when you butcher them.
Lots of things don't make sense in DF. Butchering uses a fairly simplistic size-check to see what the yield is. Given the game has to account for whale, roc and forgotten beast butchery yields, it has determined that cats, rabbits and other such 'mundane small' animals are beneath attention. To fix, make your favourite meat animal bigger in size.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:31:33 am »

Cats can be butchered. Where else would i get my kitten leather from?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 10:35:53 am »

Cats can be butchered. Where else would i get my kitten leather from?
DF considers cats to be 10 times bigger than rabbits.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 10:37:40 am »

DF rabbits are bizarrely small, like the size of squirrels if you compare their body size to other creatures.  I scaled them up to slightly below the size of cats in my personal mod.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 12:17:43 pm »

DF rabbits are bizarrely small, like the size of squirrels if you compare their body size to other creatures.  I scaled them up to slightly below the size of cats in my personal mod.

I scaled up rabbits, cavies (also a food animal in Peru), and ducks (!!?!? why the heck are ducks inedibly small?), and switched the grazing requirements of rabbits and cavies since the latter inexplicably eat more even though the former are larger (I've owned guinea pigs, a small rabbit can easily kick a piggie to death).