Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Valhalla Rising (A.K.A. What the fuck?)  (Read 4284 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Valhalla Rising (A.K.A. What the fuck?)
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:23:39 am »

So my and my girlfriend watched this film (me for the second time) last night. We're both studying creative writing at degree level and simply cannot figure out what the hell is going on. Has anyone here seen and been able to make sense of this movie?
Don't get me wrong, it's a kickass film, it just doesn't really make any sense when you try to understand what's going on. The huge shortage of dialogue doesn't help, either.
I have my theories about what it means, but I want to see what everyone else thinks first, if anyone here has seen it.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Valhalla Rising (A.K.A. What the fuck?)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:14:07 am »

From the title of it, it's obviously about Nordic mythology coming to life in a modern day New York.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 06:17:57 am »

From the title of it, it's obviously about Nordic mythology coming to life in a modern day New York.

Honestly? That would make more sense.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:51 am »

From the title I assume it is about nazis. Titles containing vague norse paganism references are often about nazis.

PD: have read about it on tv tropes now. Apparently it's kind of like 2007's pathfinder.

Did any of the vikings utter at any point the phrase "You reek of fear and lutefisk"?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:44:06 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:05:25 am »

From the title I assume it is about nazis. Titles containing vague norse paganism references are often about nazis.

PD: have read about it on tv tropes now. Apparently it's kind of like 2007's pathfinder.

Did any of the vikings utter at any point the phrase "You reek of fear and lutefisk"?

No Nazis, thankfully. And no, there is only one viking in the entire film and he doesn't say anything at all :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 08:10:50 am »

While by no means the only proper interpretation, my take is that the film is about the changing religious paradigm - the old gods disappearing into obscurity and being replaced by the new ones.
The silent protagonist bears traits of both Odin(one-eyed, future-seeing udefeatable warrior) and Christ(god made corporeal, self-sacrifice).
It could be said that the film begins with him as the representation of the violent remnants of the old faith, now confined to obscurity(ritual combat exemplifying the "do or die" and submission to fate mentality of a pre-christian warrior), chained to the existence of the dwindling host of his apathetic followers.
As the story progresses, he changes into a Christ figure, reflecting the change of faith of his people.

The wannabe crusaders can be seen as his apostles. People confused about their faith, born in the transition period. Their mindset still rooted deeply in the old days, they're doomed to perish with the gods they once worshipped and make room for a new, untainted by the violent past, generation of Christians(the boy).

The Indians are incidental.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:45:26 am by Il Palazzo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:28 am »

No, the indians are Odin and Jesus too. In purgatory.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:37:42 am »

If you thought that was weird you should watch "Christmas on Mars". It's a seriously WTF film.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:01 pm »

It took me a few minutes to remember what Valhalla Rising was.  Yes, it was pretty bizarre, and yeah, Il Palazzo sounds about right.
Shoes...