Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS Help  (Read 557 times)

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
FPS Help
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »

So I started a new world and as soon as I embarked I got a cave-in message and it zoomed to z-level 27. After I unpaused the game and began to setup the fps declined at a very fast rate until it dropped to only 2-3 fps. This is before any migrants so the only living things on my unit screen were my dwarves, my 25 turkeys, my 2 horses, and a few badgers. Can someone help explain to me what happened?
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: FPS Help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:09:36 pm »

You have a bugged embark.  The structural integrity of the cavern layers was bad, something caved in, and now the magma sea is pouring into the underworld, or something equivalently bad.  This will not stop.  You'll probably want to start over from scratch, unless you want to try to play with permanently single-digit FPS.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »

Thanks for the info. Shame though it was one of the best embarks I've seen in a long time.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »

Export worldgen info and then regenerate the world with the exact same settings, then embark again at the same location - in all likelihood, you will find that the region is now correctly formed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »

Quick question. How do I export world gen info?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:31:12 pm »

If you've abandoned, you can get it off Legends mode. Start it up and press 'p' to get the worldgen parameters. If you have a fortress running on a world (and don't want to abandon), you can get the worldgen parameters by pressing 'Escape' and then exporting a local image. This method will give you some rather large screenshots to go with the text file you're after.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.