Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bedrooms: Have I've been wasting time  (Read 5683 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms: Have I've been wasting time
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

1)Technically no if any of them are married, however I find that because dwarven bedroom assignments tend to act a little strange with married dwarves that having at least as many bedrooms as dwarves if not more is the best idea.

2)That's the correct way to make a bedroom that you are letting the dwarves claim, yes.

3)Nope! Dwarves are ok with sleeping about anywhere as long as it isn't noisy where they are sleeping (current noisemaking jobs include eating, woodcutting, mining, building furniture [actually placing it, not making it in a workshop], combat [but not sparring], engraving, water wheels, and firing siege engines. You can find a complete list with the distance each noise travels on the wiki here.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SannaSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »

oh snap! noise! I wondered why the magmawiki quickstart said to dig down at least 7 levels to make bedrooms. So um. Now it's time to go learn if I can move placed objects, or if I have to totally start over and build 90 new bedrooms (I just had a migration wave of 20 new dwarfs, I don't know what to do with so many!) and all the pieces that go inside it. And uh, figure out what to do with all the abandoned rooms that aren't bedrooms anymore... I guess I could tear down the walls between and make beer storage! That's a good idea X D.

Wow, thanks for mentioning that and linking. I would have built soooo many bedrooms too close to everything else : oooo.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 12:42:41 pm »

So you hit rock.  Ya wanna build bedrooms in rock so you can engrave.  The upper levels are soil, clay and not rock.  That's why it suggested going so deep.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

Now it's time to go learn if I can move placed objects, or if I have to totally start over and build 90 new bedrooms

Dig the new bedrooms first.  Then install doors, if you are planning to use doors.  Once that's all done, use (q) (x) to deconstruct all the existing beds.  No special labors should be required for that.  When the beds are deconstructed, they will become placeable furniture again, just like when you first built them.  Put them in the new bedrooms, then (q) (r) them to make them into actual rooms.

Quote from: knutor
So you hit rock.  Ya wanna build bedrooms in rock so you can engrave.  The upper levels are soil, clay and not rock.  That's why it suggested going so deep.

Another reason is because (after you pierce a cavern) a tree could grow inside someone's soil bedroom, trapping her in there.  If you don't happen to notice, she might starve to death.  Yes, granted, you could build floors....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:54:50 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:13 am »

Second question: when I size the room, should the blue flashies encompass the wall squares, or just encompass the floor squares? Reason being, I only have one wall square between two rooms, so does this mean that 'technically' I would be making the rooms overlap, and if so, is that bad?

It doesn't matter if the walls overlap.  It's in the wiki.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2011, 11:44:24 am »

3)Nope! Dwarves are ok with sleeping about anywhere as long as it isn't noisy where they are sleeping (current noisemaking jobs include eating, woodcutting, mining, building furniture [actually placing it, not making it in a workshop], combat [but not sparring], engraving, water wheels, and firing siege engines. You can find a complete list with the distance each noise travels on the wiki here.)
That's funny, Toady One himself stated here that the only sources of noise are mining, wood cutting, engraving/carving fortifications (but not smoothing?), and removing constructions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 02:21:48 pm »

I would assume that it is possible that it has been changed and the wiki has been failed to be updated. I certainly remember that there were several people complaining back in 40d that placing chairs/tables made noise within a 33^3 cube and wanted it to be removed, so it's certainly a possibility. As for the combat I'm fairly certain that it causes noise, though I am not sure about the firing siege engines and even the wiki is unsure about eating noise.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

woodcutting makes noise 8 levels down, so that is another good reason to put your bedrooms at least nine zlevels under the surface.   maybe a few more if you are planning on filling some of the soil layers with mushroom forestry operations.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:35 am »

I like to go as deep into the bed rock as I can with the final bedroom area. 18-20 z down for preference. Yes, it's a long way, but it's also studded with large numbers of stairs, both 3x3 columns, as well as 1x3 lines descending and rising to and from work rooms.
Pages: 1 2 [3]