Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh manager, my manager...man of danger and action!  (Read 845 times)

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh manager, my manager...man of danger and action!
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:16:13 pm »

This was funny.  My previous manager was a hunter by skill.  A goblin siege trapped him on the far side of the map from my drawbridge/river entrance.  I thought he was going to get cut off and killed.

He was carrying something so I tried to get him to drop it by "dump" and "forbid" marking it...no joy...he was going so SLOWLY.

Miraculously, even though the goblins got within 10 squares of him as he came around the limb of my defensive wall...they didn't cut him to ribbons.

I was so excited!!  He ran clear of them to the entrance...and then stopped.  He turned 'round and started firing his crossbow (bone bolts, no less) at the iron-clad goblin spearmen.

Now this was with all squads inactive, no active orders, and an alert set to pull all dwarves to my meeting hall.

He stood there bravely firing bone bolts into the advancing goblins...even wounding a couple of them and drawing blood with lucky hits.  He got ripped limb from limb and I raised the drawbridge after he charged into their ranks with dwarven and goblin blood flying this way and that.

I think we got all 8 pieces of him back and properly buried him after wrecking the siege force.

I found a new manager and will have to get some OTHER poor schmuck to be the hunter  :P

Any ideas as to why he decided to stand his ground???  It was an epic stand...I'll have to engrave some stone and see if his death is captured in the stone faces :)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh manager, my manager...man of danger and action!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:36 pm »

I have had a similar !fun!.
my starting hunter decided tu hunt local clown who were the resident on my embark site. I did everytthing I though of to call him back - no use. he just sneaked close enough and started shooting. now the clown have a cool name and 7 dwarven kills...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:39:00 pm »

For some reason, dwarves wielding ranged weapons will always stand their ground and fire at their enemies. I'm not sure if off-duty melee soldiers do the same thing, but I believe they don't.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »

No, they don't. Sometimes I take soldiers off duty just to stop them chasing after stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:17:51 am »

I've actually had a one or two incidents where an off duty melee soldier seizes the opportunity to open large rock pot of whoopass on an enemy. So now I'm a bit confused...

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:29:48 am »

Off duty marksdwarves also have a tendency to do this, I can confirm it. Became a major pain in the ass when I assigned such uniforms for all adults in my fort, THEN I tried to set up GCS silk farms- they kept shooting the prisoners the moment they chained them.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:31 am »

I've actually had a one or two incidents where an off duty melee soldier seizes the opportunity to open large rock pot of whoopass on an enemy. So now I'm a bit confused...
Do they actually chase them? Sometimes I've seen dwarves tangle with an enemy instead of running around the map getting their heels nipped, but I've never thought to check the combat reports. Maybe once they get an attack or counterattack in a little switch gets flipped in their heads.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »

Do they actually chase them? Sometimes I've seen dwarves tangle with an enemy instead of running around the map getting their heels nipped, but I've never thought to check the combat reports. Maybe once they get an attack or counterattack in a little switch gets flipped in their heads.
I think this happens if they got cornered.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:26:43 pm »

Perhaps they're attacking enemies within their range? Cornered cats scratch afterall.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

An off duty swordsdwarf was on her way to build a wall, a fleeing goblin snatcher ran past her while making its escape, she swiftly and brutally murdered it without hesitation.

I'm pretty sure there was another incident as well, but for the life of me I can't remember it...

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:04:37 pm »

I usually have teams of hunters that act as patrol duty as they always are running around searching for animals.

Whenever they discover a goblin ambush they always stop and fire. They also do this for thieves as well and usually are able to stick them in the leg and slow them down for the militia to catch up to them.
May the mass times acceleration be with you