Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't use wood stockpile?!  (Read 2052 times)

Dwurf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't use wood stockpile?!
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »

Hi!
I'm quite new to this game, but I have a nice fortress going now (also I'm suprised by how much fun this game is!).

My problem is: I have some wood stockpiles, and have chopped down trees, but the dwarves won't use the stockpile!
So when I make something out of wood, the wood crafter has to walk all the way to where the trees were cut down..

Here's a huge screenshot for you:
http://i.imgur.com/jDwJX.jpg

Wood is in the lower left, stockpile is right below the text "Dwarf Fortress". Also, I have another stockpile inside next to
my carpenter's workshop, this one is also empty :( (it used to work fine, but now it's just empty..)

Are anyone able to see what's the problem here? Or is it a bug? I've tried searching, but only found one other thread with
the same problem, but no solution there. Other stockpiles are working, just not wood.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't use wood stockpile?!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:28:47 pm »

Do dwarves have wood hauling on? Do they have other things that they're doing? (In one of the most impressive feats of programming ever, dwarves have been programmed to determine what you want them to do the most, and then do other stuff. Bear that in mind when you make fortresses.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »

Everything I can think of:

1 - Double check that the stockpile accepts wood. (and not gems for instance... w and e being next to each other and all)
2 - Check that wood gathering is on. (somewhere in the orders screen I think)
3 - Make sure the wood isn't forbidden. (which can happen if you've just reclaimed)

Edit: Oh, and make sure your front door isn't locked.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:40:39 pm by Sidhien »

Dwurf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »

Thanks for your replies! Yeah, I just discovered that wood gathering (under the Orders menu) for some reason was turned off! I turned it on and now they're happily gathering all the wood :) Hooray!