Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different Flavored Demi-gods.  (Read 1183 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different Flavored Demi-gods.
« on: November 18, 2011, 09:30:52 pm »

As it stands, all demi-gods are all more or less beings with extraordinary stat-caps....and pretty much just that.

But when I think of the tales of old, these demi-gods, like the deity that sired them, all had a particular theme. Hercules was strong enough to hold up the sky. Achilles and indeed many other "demi-gods" from various cultures, such as Sigurd or Esfandyar were invulnerable in all but a single point. An achilles heel if you will.

SO WHAT EXACTLY DO I PROPOSE?

When generating a demi-god, the most important factor is where the divine parantage resides. So, let's just say the game pics a god at random, and comes up with one of your deities that is associated with the sky and fire. It would then randomly choose sky or fire. And alter your demi-god accordingly.

Let's say it chose fire, and then decided to slap the Lava-Immune tag on your character. He could then swim as he likes ((provided he knows how to swim)) within lava. His only concerns that his attire would burn away to nothing and leave him naked. Or maybe drowning.

SO IN A NUTSHELL. Demi-god is gifted with a random power, randomly chosen from what is associated with his randomly picked Divine parent. ((and since gods are randomly generated as well...that's just even better.))

Powers could range from the incredibly useful : Can fly, Can breath water, Giant Strength ((ie. treated as a giant in mass for wrestling/striking/related things)), doubling your speed from what it already is, having unbreakable bones. Never sleeps, Eternally young,  Etc.

To the less so. : Generates Miasma, Always Drunk, Blood/Vomit burns or freezes things, Immune to all forms of syndrome, inspires tantrums. Can mine without a pick. Etc.

And maybe, every so often generate a weakness to go with a demigod. Like weakness to a certain material ((anything, from silver to larch, would be insanely DF to have a legendary demi-god killed with a larch figurine of himself)), abilities that only manifest during night or day, or maybe even only when holding a certain object, like a flute or short spear. Sky is the limit really.

AND LET'S NOT FORGET

You really...-really- should set it up to generate demi-gods in world gen, and then again throughout history. And don't just limit them to humans/dwarves either. I can already imagine a demi-god bronze collossus that breathes fire, whorshipped by a cult of goblins.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different Flavored Demi-gods.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:38 pm »

Toady planned on Demi-gods being empowered and being assigned to actual gods.

We just arn't there yet.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:29:35 am »

The demigod selection in adventure mode is pretty much just there to let you start with more points than normal.  Stuff like you describe will be in eventually, but this isn't even a placeholder for content so much as a debug option.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:33:52 am »

I guess Toady DOES think of everything!
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:10 am »

I think that before changing this demi-gods thing toady should expand gods, "associated with fire and sky" isn't something "deep" enough to create an adventurer,IMO.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »

well, it's a start.. Being able to shoot fireballs while outdoors would be pretty cool.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

The demigod selection in adventure mode is pretty much just there to let you start with more points than normal.  Stuff like you describe will be in eventually, but this isn't even a placeholder for content so much as a debug option.

I actually heard otherwise that Demigods later will have powers and attributes so as to change the way the game is played. From Toady... One... >_>

Demigods later will be a bit more then a accelerated start.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:41 am »

Ha, I thought this was a thread about food.  Gods not goods.  Doh!

I don't like the idea of demigods being any more powerful than the largest of titans.  Able to take on whatever form they wish, but power wise, only a titan on the battlefield.  In the spirit of Fred Sabrehagen and his alien gods, an artifact should slay them all.  Where they choose to reside is of little importance unless their birthright and inheritance is under question.  Is it?  I imagine Demigods poofing in and out of nothingness on a whim and a prayer, as long as one believer exists in that particular 4x4 embark region. 

If no believers exist then a Demigods visitation rights should be suspended.  Demigods are different than Place gods.  Place gods deserver a home, unlike Demigods.  Place gods are incorporeal, and tend to require more sacrifices on greater scales.  These are the single word named gods.  The ones of myth and legend.  Not the meddlers. 

But I'm happy with whatever your happy with.  As long as the game remains free.

Sincerely,
Knutor

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:45:31 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:44:18 am »

*does a double take of the post above* What?

No one prays to demi-gods!

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »

Should they?

I mean, demi-gods would be extraordinary individuals with great power in comparison to ordinary people. Makes sense that some would worship them. Cults around extraordinary leaders or adventurers feels natural to me.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 02:32:53 am »

Well yeah, I'm fine with a cult or organization venerating said demi-god. But really I'm thinking they'd be more inclined to be like "Praise Herrek the Bloated! He sends his son to us to slay the vile nightfreak!"

But is was more a double take on Knutor's whole...taking on whatever shape they want and only existing if people beleive in them. I'm pretty sure regardless of if anyone beleived in Hercules he could tie you into a knot.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:40:15 am »

Yeah, demigods are physical beings, not actual gods. No argument there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:59 am »

Yeah, demigods are physical beings, not actual gods. No argument there.

Actually gods can easily be physical beings.

The Titans for example can easily be gods or godlike beings.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 02:26:42 pm »

Well yeah, I'm fine with a cult or organization venerating said demi-god. But really I'm thinking they'd be more inclined to be like "Praise Herrek the Bloated! He sends his son to us to slay the vile nightfreak!"

But is was more a double take on Knutor's whole...taking on whatever shape they want and only existing if people beleive in them. I'm pretty sure regardless of if anyone beleived in Hercules he could tie you into a knot.

See right there is my barking point.  A son of a god, IS a god.  Not a demigod.  This halfgod stuff is all about meddling.  Gods don't meddle.  They are far too powerful.  A wink from a god, would destroys the entire dwarf race.  However a demigod is something, grown out of anomaly, creation, or mutation that does this meddling.  And yes, faith to choosen god, would spawn a demigod, too.  A dwarf can't forget its soul.  A fallen god, falls fast, and hard.  There isn't a thing left, after the wrath of a god.  No life, game over. 

A demigod, to me, is just an oversided meddler, which dies the same as a dwarf, with some exceptions.  A demigod is a rival of minor demons.  An equal to small dragons.  And perfectly capable to be slain, outright, in accordance to the mythos within, without world ending side effects.  Binding laws hold them to their god, like a soul contract to a devil.  Not a birthright.  Children of gods are gods.  Abominations are demigods.  And some abominations like the demigod to athena are very sexy.  woohooo!

That's how I think, but nobody asked. I offered too much again.  DOH!  I imagine Forgotten Beasts in DF as different flavored demi-gods.  For what its worth.  Its a perspective, that fits.  Even if its not the intent.  It would be fun to build shrines to dieties, and fill them with appropriate statues.  Just ploping statues down outdoors to avoid sunlight sickness, seems a poor use for such beauty.

Knutor

edit:  Just realized this was not about Fortress Mode.  I know nothing about the other modes, please disregard my commentary.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:07:23 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.