Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space exploration games (also EXPLOSIONS IN SPACE)  (Read 6963 times)

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space exploration games (also EXPLOSIONS IN SPACE)
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:44:01 am »

So currently I am trying to hunt down some good, freeform space exploration games.  Right now I have found only two that I like so far.

Escape Velocity Nova: One of my favorites.  Exploring, trading, space dogfighting, ship customization, a storyline with questionable importance, and best of all, it accepts user-created mods.  The problem is that you need to pay to unlock the full version.  A shame that there isn't a sequel of some sort (NAEV seems promising, but it's still in development).

Transcendence: I'm sure a lot of you also know this one.  Pretty much Escape Velocity Nova if it was redesigned from the ground up and turned into a roguelike.  And yes, modding is possible with this game.  Current beta version: 1.06a (since July 1st).  Made by an obscure but experienced programmer who appears to be really into astronomy.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Space exploration games (also EXPLOSIONS IN SPACE)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

While it's always in development, NAEV feels rather complete , you really should try it if you like Escape Velocity and Transcendence.

Mix of quick coffee breaker and space exploration, you have that was released freeware a year or two ago Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, there's a sequel (not free this one) to it if you find it interesting.
For a coffee breaker it's very fun.

You have the old "Frontier Elite 2" and "Frontier First Encounter" too that are completely freeform and allow you to explore things, but sadly combat is very crappy though and often frustrating (especially in Frontier First Encounter) as it happens that an enemy can spawn just behind your ship where you have nearly no shields and so one-shot you in less than 2 seconds after you detect them.

But if you're interested by them, you should then prefer the open source remake/inspired game "Pioneer", that is simply better in many ways, and have planets and asteroids being much more impressive visually with their superb procedural tech helping a lot in the fun of exploration. I like it a lot.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:38:18 am »

Heh.
You could also try the weak excuse of a game I made.

Link

It has a near infinite playing field*

*Limited by your computers ram.

It sucks though :P

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:17 pm »

Not sure if something like space rangers 2 is in the group your looking for, but it's similar to EV I think.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »

Freelancer? x3tC? They're more 3rd person games though, so I'm not sure if you'd be into them.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:41:30 pm »

I like Flatspace 2 (essentially Flatspace 1 with more stuff) as a coffee-break space game. Pretty fun, and even lets you run one-life ironman games.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 05:11:58 pm »

Not sure if something like space rangers 2 is in the group your looking for, but it's similar to EV I think.
I don't know if it counts, but it should count. It's a fantastic game(but not free). A 2d space exploration, trade and turn-based combat game with a dynamic universe, and optional choose-your-adventure brain teasers, shoot'em-up segments and a mini-RTS game.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »

The RTS parts were difficult, but it was pretty cool being able to assume control of your units. Somehow that was the least satisfying part about the game, though.

Otherwise the game is awesome.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34943.0

Prospector is pretty awesome space exploration roguelike. Totally free.

Space Rangers II is awesome, highly recommended. Doesn't cost much nowadays.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 08:34:21 pm »

Ascii Sector is worth a look. It's a ascii-based recreation of Wing Commander: Privateer.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »

I wish Ambrosia still made Escape Velocity games. Now they only seem to do Mac ports of other stuff and apps.