Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chanelling out whole floors without unfortunate accidents  (Read 758 times)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chanelling out whole floors without unfortunate accidents
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:22:38 am »

i'm well aware of the accidents that just cant be avoided, the ones that end up killing those poor nobles, but i'd rather not lose my legendary miners to the amount of accidents caused by channelling out entire floors.

i'm trying to make a grand room, many Z levels high, but removing the floor is so troublesome. Maybe i can use a version of my mine system where i put a stairway every so often as to hit every square, but is there an easier method? channeling the entire room results in cave ins and trapped dwarves, channeling section by section usually ends up with cave ins (though not trapped dwarves), and i attempted to only channel the edges and leave it all joined to one tiny bit which i had a miner channel so it all fell, but unfortunately my miner fell with it and suffered multiple broken bones and spent quite a while in hospital.

Much appreciated~

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Chanelling out whole floors without unfortunate accidents
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:24:31 am »

i take it you dig out the Z levels before channeling them?

that's bad. m'kay. just channel the top floor and work your way down. no chance of cave-ins this way! don't worry you still get stone and gems and whatnot from the work
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:31:11 am »

You know, this makes more sense.

I was unaware you could channel without having floor below it being dug out (/filled with liquid). preserving gems and such isn't high on my priority, i have 500 gold bars in a stockpile doing nothing except attracting invaders at the moment. (I just want steel xD)

Thanks Aspgren!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »

Make gold goblets. Stud them with gems. Sell them for steel.

Problem solved.  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 02:11:16 am »

i'm waiting for goblin invaders. I have plenty of flux, but no iron :(
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:52:08 am »

To prevent my miners from getting stuck when channeling, I usually have them carve ramps (which also removes the floor above, but leaves a way to get back), then remove the ramps. Twice the amount of work though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »

Rather then removing the ramps once a level is dug out you can simply designate the whole level for channeling again. The dwarves will then automatically remove the ramps when they channel that particular location, meaning the only time you actually have to remove the ramps is on the bottom level of your pit.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:59:39 am »

Rather then removing the ramps once a level is dug out you can simply designate the whole level for channeling again. The dwarves will then automatically remove the ramps when they channel that particular location, meaning the only time you actually have to remove the ramps is on the bottom level of your pit.

If you want to engrave the walls on the way down though, you have to remove the ramps adjacent to them to engrave them, I believe.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:36:27 am »

If you want to engrave the walls on the way down though, you have to remove the ramps adjacent to them to engrave them, I believe.
Are you sure? I've never noticed this.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 05:48:59 am »

Are you sure? I've never noticed this.

The effect doesn't seem consistent, but sometimes areas you designate for smoothing will not be smoothed if there are ramps around it. I've dug out many z-levels in my time, and this has been my experience.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:44:32 am »

When did you do the designation? I've had smoothing designations get cancelled if digging is done very close by. There were ramps around, but not in the eight-tile area around the designations in question.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.