Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ocean product industry  (Read 1098 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
ocean product industry
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »

So I did the scorpion thing, now I want to try out catching something a bit harder. Ocean creatures. the problem is, I have no idea where to start. I read up on the sea serpent catching thread, and tried the trench method. the problem is, none of the stuff out in the water is swimming into the traps or even close enough to shore. so I gotta ask, How would you guys go about this task? I could pump lots of water out of the ocean, but that would take time, and I have no idea where to pump the water to. maybe some kind of pump stack configuration to get the water into huge holding tanks? well, shoot some ideas at me, and ill see if I can try them out without killing off too many dwarves.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: ocean product industry
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:02:18 pm »

My experience with trapping sea creatures suggests that pumping the water out or draining the ocean through a trap-filled corridor does not work well.  You need to build the traps where the creatures will swim into them on their own.  In my case I was lucky, there was an area where migrating fish tended to cope right up against the shore and I was able to just build a trap-lined trench there.  If the natural migration of your fish keeps them well out to sea, you might have to drain the ocean and then build a trap-covered platform where the fish will swim when you restore the ocean.  This is not easy to do.

Pumping the ocean dry won't work, the ocean will fill in faster than you can pump it.  Draining the ocean requires you to punch through the floor of the ocean with a cave-in into a tunnel that leads into an aquifer or map-edge drain.  You will also want to build a drawbridge seal to block off that drain so you can then let the ocean refill after you've built your traps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »

damn, that's a lot of work. XD. well its worth doing, and there is an aquifer down under the ocean, so Ill try It.

[edit]
I just had an idea, let me bounce this off of you, what if I built a 3 zlevel high tube over the ocean, and dropped it in. the ocean itself is at its deepest 3 levels deep. after dropping it in I can (with a bit of work) pump the water out of the tube, construct floors and flood gates effectively making a sort of underwater hotel for sea life. the only question is, will the tube hold up to the impact of dropping to the ocean floor and will a floor already constructed hold up. then again, I might have to construct a lot of extra stuff too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:39:55 pm by saltmummy626 »
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:30 pm »

damn, that's a lot of work. XD. well its worth doing, and there is an aquifer down under the ocean, so Ill try It.

[edit]
I just had an idea, let me bounce this off of you, what if I built a 3 zlevel high tube over the ocean, and dropped it in. the ocean itself is at its deepest 3 levels deep. after dropping it in I can (with a bit of work) pump the water out of the tube, construct floors and flood gates effectively making a sort of underwater hotel for sea life. the only question is, will the tube hold up to the impact of dropping to the ocean floor and will a floor already constructed hold up. then again, I might have to construct a lot of extra stuff too.

constructed floors/walls are destroyed in a cave in. You could pump magma out into the ocean to create obsidian.

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you dropped a magma-filled tube? The walls/floors would deconstruct, but the magma would still be there... Might be interesting.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:44:28 pm »

That is also worth trying. heh, I can use the walkways ive built already to expand my normal fishing industry then.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:47:00 am »

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if you dropped a magma-filled tube? The walls/floors would deconstruct, but the magma would still be there... Might be interesting.

What happens is the walls and floors fall first, instantaneously, and deconstruct, leaving the magma hanging in midair.  Then the magma slowly falls, eventually coming into contact with the water and forming obsidian as it does.  Falling materials in DF don't do what real-world physics and common sense would lead you to expect.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.