Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Why is he just sitting there!?"  (Read 767 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Why is he just sitting there!?"
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:25:45 am »

I think I must ask that question more than any other while playing this game.  At the moment I have just finished fighting off some goblin ambushers and one of my squad is just sitting in the grass, hungry, thirsty and drowsy.  As far as I can tell he has no wounds of any kind.  I have 13 dwarves with recover wounded as their only labor.  They've pulled the other wounded off the battlefield but now they are sitting around idle, so I guess this guy isn't wounded.  Why is he just sitting out there then?  The squad has no current orders.  There's a path back to the barracks.  His current job is no-job.  I'm baffled.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Syncing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Why is he just sitting there!?"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:31 am »

I'm not that experienced with military in DF, but have you canceled the squad order? Maybe you set a movement point and you forgot about it.

//Edit: OK, I misread. I though you talked about the whole squad. Maybe he is a hunter and sleeps outside (my hunters do that sometimes).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:49:16 am by Syncing »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:53:16 am »

well, if the others of his squad were wounded and hauled off, maybe he is still there because he isnt wounded and is still obeying a move/kill order. They tend to hang around the creature they were to kill too ("have you seen the goblin spearman ufur holomaran? I can only find the corpse of ufur holomaran the goblin spearman.")
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:59:37 am »

Assuming you've waited for a bit and double-checked that his squad's orders were canceled (merely completing a kill order isn't enough), this is definitely some weird shit. And I don't just mean the part about him not leaving his station, but showing up as having "no job" (you'd expect something like "soldier (can't follow orders)" instead).

What I'd do is give him another order and see if he follows it and then canceling that. But you probably already tried that.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:26:02 am »

Sometimes military orders will 'stick' even after they've been cancelled, though the dwarves end up dropping them eventually.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:21:46 am »

My soldiers tend to loiter around the area where they've been told to go for quite a while after cancelling the order.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:40 am »

Is you gate open?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:19 am »

If the dwarf is a "hero" ("master" or "lord" in their military title, bright colored face), then they may continue as if on the "active/training" schedule even when you put the squad on "inactive", because "hero" dwarves were intended to never leave the military, and never perform any civilian duties ever again.

Of course, it's horribly bugged, so dwarves typically (but not always) lose hero status at the beginning of every month, but I suspect "hero"s hanging around after the orders are cancelled is mostly due to that, when I switch a squad of marksdwarves from "active/training" (with "patrol route" assigned as their schedule), the ones that are currently labeled as "hero"s tend to hang around for an extra month, while the rest go back to their civilian duties right away.

Some of it could be because switching to "hero" status wiped out all of their labors, so they don't have any job to get to, but it's at least possible that your dwarf is hanging around despite being hungry/thirsty because dwarves on "station", "patrol route", "defend burrows" (and the like) won't drink or go eat until they hit starving or dehydrated.

If you change the squad's schedule to have them training, and give them a barracks, I'll bet your dwarf will go get something to eat/drink more quickly, because military dwarves that are training don't wait until they're starving/dehydrated.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:09:09 pm »

Thank you all for your ideas.  I will experiment with this later today or tomorrow and tell you what unsticks him.  My guess at the moment is that he's just stuck following the previous (but now cancelled) order to kill.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:47:49 pm »

Last nigh one swordwarf of mine stayed stuck when he was  "picking equipment", I had to unleash a giat toad in the armory so he could  unstuck.

Off topic:
Weapon racks, armor stands and chests have any use when you create a room from them?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:31:33 pm »

I've had this happen too. My soldier finally decided to leave after a while and went to go rest, as he was wounded. I never had a problem with him after that. Maybe he's just wishing he had more goblins to fight? lol

Anyway, the situation seemed to resolve itself, in my case.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:41:02 pm »

I just wasn't patient enough I guess.  The next day someone with the recover injured came out to pick him up.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

Well there's your problem!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!