Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another question about military scheduling  (Read 804 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another question about military scheduling
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:20:16 am »

Q:  Despite reading everything I can find on it, military scheduling is still something of a mystery.  For example, if I have 10 legendary masons, what I would like to be able to do is put them in two squads of 5 each and schedule them for alternate training months.  The idea being on any given month, 5 dwarfs will be training and 5 will be picking up the masonry jobs.  However, it does not seem to work that way.  Once I put someone in a military squad it seems like they stop participating in civilian work and are either actively training or performing "individual combat drills".

To what extent are the answers to these questions known?

a. If I take my fictional masons (they have the mason labor activated and nothing else), put them in a squad of five and leave the squad's alert status at "inactive" will they pick up masonry jobs or ignore them and do individual drills all day?

b.  What if I take the same squad, change their alert status to "active/training" but their training schedule has "no scheduled order" for each month?  Will they behave the same way as above?

c.  What if all the months have "train" on them, but the minimum required is 0?  Is that the same thing?

Any help is appreciated.

I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another question about military scheduling
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:31:38 am »

If a dwarf is 'diligent' and also in a squad, he might go to the barracks on his own even when he's on inactive duty. But it won't be all of them and not all the time.

I believe if you set the minimum attendance at 0, that will pretty much be the same situation.

What I would do is make a single squad of 10 and schedule training with a minimum attendance of 5 or less. The required attendance is usually kept to pretty closely.

Also, have you tried designating something for a mason to do and seeing if those that are training while off-duty go back to work?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »

Also keep in mind that any dwarf that reaches "lord" status (macelord, hammerlord, swordmaster, etc.) will automatically have all of their labors turned off whenever they are activated into the military. This can be kind of annoying if they also happen to be a legendary mason or some such since you have to re-enable masonry on them every time they are deactivated.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:14 pm »

Also keep in mind that any dwarf that reaches "lord" status (macelord, hammerlord, swordmaster, etc.) will automatically have all of their labors turned off whenever they are activated into the military. This can be kind of annoying if they also happen to be a legendary mason or some such since you have to re-enable masonry on them every time they are deactivated.

Ah, this is good information, and might explain some behavior that didn't make sense before.  I will test some of these things myself today or tomorrow, but can you expand on what you mean by "activated".
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »

When they are set to train/stationed/kill or any other military thing other than inactive. Basically if you have them set to do anything other than be civilians.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:48:44 pm »

I have been wondering why so many labors ended up being turned off in Dwarf Therapist. So that's why.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »

On any schedule, Active or Inactive you can assign following orders, train,defend burrow,station,patrol or no active orders. Under no active orders if a dwarf can go perform a masonry job they will hop to it. If they are individually training when you assign the job, you will have to wait till they finish it for the stonework job to be started. All orders besides no active orders are mandatory attendance. The min max settings allow dwarves excluded from it to go work, if jobs have been chequed up
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration