Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help needed (fort advice)  (Read 986 times)

d0rmado

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help needed (fort advice)
« on: November 16, 2011, 04:46:21 am »

Basically I lay dwarf fortress for the adventure mode mostly, but I've tried the fortress mode before, was helluva hard and my first several fortresses died out pretty fast. Anyways I'm pretty content with the adventure mode but my current project involves making a superdwarven villain. Unfortunately for that I need armour, good armour, referably adamantine masterwork, same with weapons. Since finding small sized items for dwarves is such a pain i devised a MASTER PLAN:

Making a fortress devised only to one purpose only: MAKING A VAULT OF ARMOUR AND WEAPONS.

Bonus features would include:

Forgotten beasts

-------------------------------------------------------------------

However I allready tried this, and failed. Multiple times. I need advice and help by you, seasoned fortressmakers.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed (fort advice)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:50:12 am »

If you don't care about modding.

Just mod in a reaction to create unlimited charcoal and adamantine wafers.

Otherwise you'd need to find iron and flux stone. Change the cavern layer to 2 so that the magma is closer to the surface.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

d0rmado

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:52:42 am »

I'm not gonna mod, so yeah, that's where all of the difficulty lies.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:31:12 am »

So what exactly is your problem?
Do you have troubles getting the essentials started (food, drinks, defense)?
Do you need advice on how to mine adamantine without danger?
Magma problems?
Unhappy dwarves?

You do know there is a wiki with excellent guides and articles about anything in the game, right?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
(a>b) ? false : true

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:47:41 am »

Magma problems?

Not to nitpick, but that question is so wrong on so many levels  :P
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

d0rmado

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:42:02 am »

Well basically I can deal with any of my problems, but only with one at a time. If I set up a perfectly working food and production system, i get raided by goblins before i can set up impenetrale defences etc. I was thinking that there's probably a trick to getting rid of your enemies with less effort or something.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:01:12 am »

I was thinking that there's probably a trick to getting rid of your enemies with less effort or something.

That solution is simply usually a simple dodge-me trap.  Dig a pit ~15 floors deep.  Create a 1-tile walkway across it.  Cover it in upright spike traps.  Attach to lever in dining room.  When in danger, order all your dwarves inside and set lever to repeat.  If you want to make it more fun when you raid your fortress with your adventurer follow these simple steps: make the pit only 5 deep, line the floor of the pit in cage traps (all cages get released upon fortress abandon), change the upright spikes to upright spears.  Those also have the added benefit of using less labor.  However, the making of 100+ upright spikes from metal will give your weaponsmith at least a couple levels.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:27 am »

If the goal is simply an outpost to build some weapons and then make a vault I'd say to just start development, let the first 2-3 migrant waves in, and then simply wall your fort off from the outside world (and add a roof if you insist on some outdoor exposure) and ignore the goblins, migrants, and traders after that point.

Then let your isolated outpost carry out its stated goal from there.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:17 am »

Migrants should leave after some time...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.