Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting another perfect world? (world gen)  (Read 699 times)

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
  • newbie coming into his own
    • View Profile
getting another perfect world? (world gen)
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:09 pm »

Help me save my world!

Well ok, not so much save as recreate.

The Temperamental Islands I love, but I seem to of made two tiny mistakes when making her.

The mineral scarity is set to the max (opps!) and there is no magma layer or circus layer. I want to put them in but everytime I do even with the same seed it comes out just wrong.

Like too many hills, weird mutilated shapes, ect ect.

Though while I'm at it I wanted to cut down on aquifers, but that is secondary at this point.

SO... what I specifically need help with is getting an island that at least vaugely similar to this type of biome distribution and density. Often the world gen will make it all mangled and stuffs whenever I try to make this work... for example hills galore everywhere or making way too much green choking disgusting stranded pieces of desert which messes with the way I want the island to look.

The reason I like this kind of Island is... well the aesthetics of wastes and deserts dominating places appeals to me. It kind of reminds me of Morrowind slightly (only much greener).

Anyway, here is the ascii image of my island (the dwarf symbol in the gray desert near the west coast has 3 sites there).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a biome map of it,

Though temperatures seem to be extremely uniform it only warms up while going south. So I think the key in how it was formed may of been because of the rainfall, I see a massive rain shadow on the east coast!

And then here is the map of cities!

As you can see most civ development is in two regions, and both are separated by the, and I kid you not with the random name gen, "The Troublesome Spine". Indeed, when I need to get around it for a Titan killing, it was a long journey.

Anyway, below this last paragraph is my world gen specs, If I want to get something similar to this again but add the circus layer and maybe turn up the scaricty, might it be possible to get an asthetically pleasing map again? Or did I just get lucky? I wasn't really sure what I was doing when I made it, it took me hours to get this when I made it. Anything I should change? I suspect I might try to create a massive rain shadow again but am not sure how. I suspect if there is a way to force land shape with a mod or some sort it *might* just work out perfectly how I want it, but that is probably too hopeful.

edit: eerr might of found something to work on for a base line to mess with on the wiki, though any advice would help

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Worldgen_examples#Desert_World
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:11:03 pm by jasonwill2 »

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: getting another perfect world? (world gen)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:10:54 pm »

somewhat there, but still trying at the world gen. fairly close actually

edit: well, not ''that'' close as everytime i change something it all goes away even with the same seedd >.>

edit: I guess what I really want is two relatively fertile land areas seperated by mountains and badlands/deserts but im having trouble, im trying to brute attempt it now until i get the kind i want

edit: this! might be what i need, hehe! I may of solved my problem.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.0
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:51:11 pm by jasonwill2 »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:32:06 am »

helpful bump

does a little dance

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:45:09 pm »

still having trouble. even with the program i got close, but I wanted more grasslands but accidently made a bunch of marshes. though i hope there is a way to import my current maps' elevation and then i might be able to force the exact shape and biomes yet change only the mineral scaricty and lava layer. i just need to figure out how.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

It's possible to use the world painter to make a custom-designed map, but that's extremely tricky to use, mainly because the scrolling is severely messed up. However, it lets you paint rainfall, elevation, savagery, etc. all by hand. If you're wanting a map that looks a special way, that's what I would suggest you use.

If you don't want to use the world painter, I could try to help you out by coming up with different preset settings that would get a world like you want, but with such specific goals in mind, it's really all hit and miss.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

well in the spoilers I gave all my map info for my favriote one. I just wish there was a way to use the raw date of an existing world and get it to work in the program I gave the link to.

then I could force it to use that exact same land set up, and only change mineral scarcity and add the magma layer so that I can get hidden fun stuff.

Then again if I could just somehow hack my world folder to add the hell layer without remaking it that would work too. even though minerals are super rare in my world there are still a lot of embark sites. I would just need to find a way around aquifers then.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »

If you really want the same continent shape, you could export the elevation map, resize it to 257x257 and then import it as the elevation map in PerfectWorldDF. That will get you started in the right direction.

If you only need certain climates, make sure you do the walkthrough in the PWDF manual. That will give you a better idea of the apps workflow. There's alot that can be done there.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

jasonwill2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 04:10:13 pm »

i knew there was a way.

so if i force the same elevation, i can then use the same parameters for biomes and force it, thanks i wasnt sure how to do it, but that should work!

ill let you know later today if it works or not