Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven names  (Read 984 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Dwarven names
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »

Does anyone know where I could find a list of Dwarven first names? As in the ones used by the game.
It's FEF, not FEOF

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven names
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:11 pm »

There really aren't specific "names". The game just uses words from an entity's language file. So if you look at the dwarves' language file, any word in there is a possible first name, with the exception of words that entity doesn't like to name things with (for instance, a dwarf won't use the dwarven word for "anus" to name a dwarf or a city).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven names
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »

There really aren't specific "names". The game just uses words from an entity's language file. So if you look at the dwarves' language file, any word in there is a possible first name, with the exception of words that entity doesn't like to name things with (for instance, a dwarf won't use the dwarven word for "anus" to name a dwarf or a city).

To elaborate on this: words are categorized in to "symbols" (listed in language_SYM.txt) and entity files tell the civilizations what to use for names (or anything, really) with tokens like:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
or
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:EVIL]

As an example, the word "urist" is the dwarven word for dagger, and the word "dagger" is under the symbol group "artifice", which is why many dwarves use it as a name.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.