Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can i make a well or underground water source by channeling up towards a brook?  (Read 3533 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LOL epic pic, thanks a ton :p

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't use floodgates, use doors instead. They toggle instantaneously, whereas floodgates have a 100 tick delay, which might prove important in an emergency situation.
Or alternately, use a 1x1 drawbridge. That has the 100 tick delay, but can't be inconveniently jammed by items.
Floodgates have no redeeming features in comparison to either doors or bridges.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is what I made (or close enough to not matter):

Side view: O well, \ ramp, X floodgate, ^ pressure plate, _ floor, # solid tile, ~ brook, _ brook surface
Top view: O well, \ ramp, X floodgate, ^ pressure plate, + floor, # solid tile, ~ brook, | door, . open space, i lever, C constructed wall

+Side View+                       +Top View+ z-0
                                  ##~~~~###################
z+1 # ____      #############     ##~~~~############<++|+++
z-0 ##~~~~################O__     ##~~~~################+++
z-1 ###\___X____________X   #     ##~~~~################O++
z-2 #####################_^_#     ##~~~~################+++
z-3 #########################     ##~~~~###################

+Top View+ z-1                +Top View+ z-2
    #################iXi#####     ##################>######
    ##################C##...#     ##################+##...#
    ###\+++X++++++++++++X...#     ##################++C.^.#
    #####################...#     #####################...#
    #########################     #########################

The ramp up into teh underside of the brook is dug in winter when the brook freezes (so I don't have to hope the miner can run to the constructed wall, through it and finish it before the water coming down the hall either gets to him or is isolated by the left floodgate. Since a brook has a surface, digging up from underneath should prevent anything not already in the brook from entering the brook and getting into my cistern (This, of course, requires some confirmation, as I have no hard data that this assumption is true).  Also, the water should stay below the well level at all times due to how water pressure works.

Each floodgate is tied to its own lever, as well as both being tied to the water sensing pressure plate at the bottom of the cistern.  That plate is configured to trigger between 0/7 and 4/7 water.  When the floodgate levers are switched ON, the gates will open.  When the water gets to the cistern it drops one z-level and hits the pressure plate.  Once the plate reads more than 4/7 water it sends a signal to the floodgates, shutting them.  Due to the timing the cistern ended up with 10/7 water in each of the nine tiles (when viewed from above). When the water level in the center tile reaches 4/7 (or lower) the plate would send a signal for the floodgates to open, and then close again when the water rises above 4/7.

I admit, this works better with one more vertical level to the cistern, but so far this one is working alright -- other than the dwarf that dodged into the well and drown during training, requiring me to dig out a cistern drainage area, flip the right lever to OFF, and dig a hole into the side of the well at z-2 to drain the water and retreive the waterlogged gear ... I mean corpse.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]