Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to transfer saves?  (Read 790 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to transfer saves?
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »

And if so, how exactly would i go about doing this? (i am fairly pc illiterate by advanced user's standards)

Thanks in advance!

My netbook has served as a good platform to learn DF on, but the slow framerate is killing me so i want to transfer my current game to my gaming laptop.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to transfer saves?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »

Ayup. You should just copy the entire save directory over, shouldn't have any trouble. Even cross-OS copying works fine.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:46:35 pm »

From the folder where the DF exe is located, data->save should give you folders like "region1" "region2" etc, which are the saves for the individual worlds. You can rename/shuffle/move them to a different DF version as you like.

For example, if the game you want to move is on region1, you could rename the folder to "MagmaCarp", transfer it to the other computer, drop it in the save folder and DF will detect it when it loads and show it as "MagmaCarp" instead of "region1".

Hope it helps.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:50:33 pm by Sidhien »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »

You can rename/shuffle/move them to a different DF version as you like.
Note that you cannot move them to older versions - moving them to newer versions is just fine, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 09:58:19 pm »

And it's possible to mod the raws a bit whilst doing this, not always though.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »

Even cross modding is fine.  So I've tried (I think I did.)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:33 am »

Assuming a Windows interface/computer...

Start Menu>Computer> (or My Computer)

Navigate to wherever you have DF installed and under that is a folder called 'data'. (I cannot tell you where that is, I apologize. Mine is not where yours would be.)

After that go to the folder 'save' and you should see some regions. Whichever region you need is there.

Then copy/paste to wherever. Copy one to the same folder and it'll be called a copy and you can play it. ('Region 1 - Copy' is as valid as 'Region 1' and you know only one gets saved to while playing.)

ProTip: If you are planning on using DF on many 'puters just put the whole thing on a stick/flash drive. It'll run most anywhere. No install needed. [The whole thing means DF and all of the utilities you may have, like LNP, and of course the saves.]
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza