Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iklistducim, "Whisperworks" stories  (Read 1275 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Iklistducim, "Whisperworks" stories
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:54:48 pm »

Ingish and Ducim
Today was a sad day in the fortress Iklistducim, "Whisperworks", as one of the starting seven was slain in combat by terrible goblins.
Ingish Eralvathsith (Vesselsquares) the Axedwarf, was a member of the Works of Dusk, who founded Whisperworks as an outpost of The Old Canyon in 101. He and his friend Ducim fended off over 50 skeletal bonobos in the early days of the fort, five Giant Skeletal Lions and four goblin snatchers. He rescued Ducim's son from the last of the goblin snatchers, but lost his right foot in the attack. His friend, axedwarf Ducim, carried him to the hospital were he promptly received treatment. The pair often sparred together outside of training hours and always accompanied each other on patrol duty, being two of the three members of the axedwarf squad, "The Geared Urns"

During the goblin ambush of 103, on the 19th of Timber, Ingish was slain by a goblin pikeman. Ducim, in his rage, slew the remaining 3 goblin pikemen, strangling one then picking up his iron dagger and cutting the throats of the others. Ducim, bloodied and bruised in the attack, carried his friends body to his grave, a hastily prepared coffin in the stairwell, before checking himself into hospital. Ducim has recovered, but has experienced the loss of a friend to tragedy. When the great garden tombs of Whisperworks are completed, Ducim intends to move his friend there, to lie peacefully enshrined in moss, flanked by statues of the gods he worshipped: Anriz, dwarven god of the Sun, and Monom, the deity of writing, youth, children, pregnancy and marriage.

Rest in peace, Ingish Eralvathsith. Your dedication to Whisperworks will not be forgotten.

Edit- just wanted to say that I've been inspired by Weatherwires, and love reading updates about it. I just wanted to share some of the stories of my fort while it is constructed and, hopefully, some screenshots once it's completed :). I've changed the title of the thread to reflect the fact that this is a thread about my fort too :).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:06:44 pm by Russell.s »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Ingish and Ducim
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »

+1, would read more.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »

Definitely, I love stories like this. :) And the title has a good ring to it, too!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:36:19 am »

An inspiring tale. May Whisperworks rise to give this dwarf the proper remembrance he deserves.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iklistducim, "Whisperworks" stories
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »

Atir and Bim
Iklistducim, "Whisperworks", had been progressing slowly but surely. The dry valley was almost ready for flooding when the alert was sounded. A child on his way to fetch a drink, Likost (who had almost been kidnapped by goblin snatchers the year before) spotted an ambush of goblin archers attempting to creep into the fortress. The word spread quickly and the dwarves hurried inside. A stray dog sitting near the entrance growled loudly as the goblins passed, attracting their attention. Their bows turned on the untrained animal, leaving him with almost every bone broken and a dozen cuts. Bravely the animal dragged himself forward and leapt at the goblin leader, the ferocity of the attack causing the goblin to leap backwards in surprise, off of a cliff, breaking his spine and suffocating. The stray dog followed, breaking his legs.
Two other dogs, hearing the yelps of their companion, rushed from the entryway to savage the goblins. Ducim, militia commander, who had been content to let the new recruits spar for practice, decided that the bravery of these three dogs should be matched by the valor of the dwarves. He led the charge with his iron dagger and the goblins were vanquished.

In the aftermath of the battle the injured dog and his companions sat around the dining room, eating scraps. Few knew what these dogs had done for the fort, so they were largely ignored until Atir Ethaberib, clothier, heard of their deeds through his friend Ducim. He adopted all three dogs on the spot.
They are Ber Onulduthnur 'Mirrorgaurded', a very fat, ash gray dog with cinnamon ears; Udib Kolumril 'Wheelspines', a gigantic chestnut dog with aquamarine eyes; and Bim Inethular 'Cityidol', who sent the goblin leader over the edge. She is gigantic yet incredibly weak, with raw umber hair and aquamarine eyes. She can walk only slowly and unsteadily, shaking with effort, and her body bears many large, curving scars and small puncture wounds from the goblin attacks. The story of Bim spread through the halls of Whisperworks, and she is now a welcome sight in the barracks, where she sits with Atir and watches the militia dwarves spar, her mahogany tail thumping the ground happily.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:43:14 pm by Russell.s »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »

Lovely. I very much enjoy these tales from your fort, and the way the stories are told gives the entities in question a good level of depth and personality.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 08:53:15 pm »

Mental images are also awesome. A goblin leader, chuckling with his friends in trying to bag a few dwarf kills, walking along a cliff, a dog jumps from nowhere and takes the leader off a cliff.

Lowly bowgoblin looks over the edge of the cliff...

... "ouch"
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.