Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrow question  (Read 908 times)

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrow question
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »

This is a simple question about burrows, which I'm surprised I didn't see asked when I searched for it.

When I assign a dwarf to a burrow, how much needs to be contained? If I want to put a dwarf to just work in the mason's shop with the stones in that burrow, will I also have to make his burrow include the dining area, bed, booze, etc? Or will he simply work in the burrow, and do basic tasks like eating, drinking, sleeping, etc. wherever, but only work in the mason's shop in his burrow?

If it's the first, do dwarves respect burrow assignments even if they're starving/dehydrated? Will he simply waste away, not touching the food just outside his assigned area, or does he break out if he's having serious problems?
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Burrow question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

The dwarf will not need you to burrow the materials he needs, he will automatically grab them even if they're from outside the burrow.
[Strange moods... Planepacked.]

You will also need to burrow in your food/drink stockpiles, sleeping quarters and pretty much everything else, the dwarf can only stay in burrows if he's assigned, but he'll move outside of them if he needs to get to another.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 05:06:16 pm »

I've never needed it, but I always imagined that this arrangement would work as a general idea.

Code: [Select]
0======BFF0
0=www===FF0
0=www===  +
0=www===DD0
0=====CTDD0

0=Wall, = = stockpile for <item>, w=workshop, F=food stockpile, D=drink stockpile and the whole thing is a burrow. (There's a Bed, Table and Chair in there.)

This is just a theory, of course. I have used clever placement of stockpiles before for a few things with success, but I think this idea would work nicely if you have many specific tasks.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »

Remember: the burrow command can be given across z-levels, it is unique in that respect and quite time-saving.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »

The dwarf will not need you to burrow the materials he needs, he will automatically grab them even if they're from outside the burrow.
[Strange moods... Planepacked.]

You will also need to burrow in your food/drink stockpiles, sleeping quarters and pretty much everything else, the dwarf can only stay in burrows if he's assigned, but he'll move outside of them if he needs to get to another.

Actually, a strange mood dwarf will ignore materials from outside his burrow. In order to perform a Planepacked glitch, you have to have the materials inside the burrow, but the claimed workshop be outside it - I frequently use this as a delaying tactic to get the time necessary to collect all secondary materials, since dwarves that are running to and fro grabbing stuff don't go nuts, from what I understand. Also, once they've claimed a workshop, if there are no materials available in the burrow they're assigned to, they'll sit in the workshop doing nothing, allowing you to view what they want before they claim a single material. As for the second, I have personally observed that dwarves, once they get hungry or thirsty enough, will leave their assigned burrow to get food, provided it's assigned through the burrows menu and not through alerts.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:39:17 pm »

Are you certain of that? I was under the impression that, aside from strange moods, dwarves will not grab stuff from outside the burrow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »

Are you certain of that? I was under the impression that, aside from strange moods, dwarves will not grab stuff from outside the burrow.

They won't stockpile things outside a burrow, but say a dwarf needs to build a wall, then the dwarf would break the burrows rule to get the stone to build said wall.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »

Also remember that burrows don't need to be continuous.  You could make a burrow that includes the mason's shop and stone stockpile, a spot in the booze stockpile, a spot in a good stockpile, the dining room and the bedrooms, and assign a dwarf to it.  He'll eat at the dining room and sleep in his bedroom, and go to work in the mason's shop, commuting between those spots even though the burrow is not continuous.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Also remember that burrows don't need to be continuous.  You could make a burrow that includes the mason's shop and stone stockpile, a spot in the booze stockpile, a spot in a good stockpile, the dining room and the bedrooms, and assign a dwarf to it.  He'll eat at the dining room and sleep in his bedroom, and go to work in the mason's shop, commuting between those spots even though the burrow is not continuous.

Use burrow or traffic highways to control the path of dwarves. Or you know, bridges doors and walls.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:48:16 am »

They won't stockpile things outside a burrow, but say a dwarf needs to build a wall, then the dwarf would break the burrows rule to get the stone to build said wall.

I see. So it's the location of the job that a burrow limits, not the location of the materials for the job. I've been doing my masonry all wrong!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 03:54:56 am »

I see. So it's the location of the job that a burrow limits, not the location of the materials for the job. I've been doing my masonry all wrong!
Pretty much:P
Oh and I'm pretty sure they will also break the burrows rule to run for their lives.