Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Fortress Idea] Dwarven Masters of Fire and Beast  (Read 594 times)

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
[Fortress Idea] Dwarven Masters of Fire and Beast
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's been a while since I've played Dwarf Fortress, but I always get these interesting ideas that never really take off. Now that I'm coming back, I want to make a really cool fortress, and actually have it succeed this time! The latest of these ideas, as described in the title, is a fortress of Dwarves that are super-immune to fire, abuse magma heartily (magma baths!) and keep dragons as pets. For the sake of badassery, these Dwarves will also keep helmet snakes and cave dragons, and be able to turn them all into war versions of themselves, or leave them wild.

To do this, I'm going to need to modify the raws:
  • Increasing the population and frequency of the dragon types I want
  • Removing their exotic status, dungeon masters don't work anyway
  • Make Dwarves super-immune to fire
  • Allow Dwarves to breathe magma, probably requiring a NO_BREATHE tag. Would amphibious work here instead?
  • Dragons might have to be given a tag that prevents them from starvation, I'm not sure.
  • Something I'd LOVE to do is build my fortress literally inside a volcano, but I'm guessing that Dwarves can't build while 'underwater', even if they're not drowning and the materials are magma-safe, right?

Anyway, the purpose of this thread was to share my idea and get feedback and ideas; so fire away! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Fortress Idea] Dwarven Masters of Fire and Beast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »

Make sure you steer clear of large booze piles.  If your dwarfs are on fire they won't be able to drink.  And you thought King Midas had it rough.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »

If your dwarfs are on fire they won't be able to drink.

They can and WILL drink. Which results in !!FUN!!.
Don't know if they can while submerged in a liquid tho.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:29:20 pm »

Masters of Fire, you say?
- - - - -
Mysterious Voice: " You have been chosen to fulfill the prophecy! Build a [wooden/fuel/bone] throne/ [wooden/fuel/bone/cloth bed! Here are the plans! "
Aussiemon: " Whats the prophecy? "
A slab falls from the sky. It reads:
" Dwarven nobles prove their worth by attempting to take their seat on the ever-burning throne. It is said that the true king shall resist the flames and be the master of both fire and The Crystal of Reverences. "

- - - - -
Muahhaha.