Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help Protect the Internet!  (Read 5502 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Help Protect the Internet!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:09 am »

Unfortunately for your logic, Bohandas, the sites will not go down. Americans will simply be unable to access them. No other countries would likely be affected, unless they go through an American proxy.

Which sucks, because I hope the international community give congress shit about this.

Ok. Then theoretically I would be able to access them by going through a foreign proxy. How would I do that?
There are many ways. Tor is a good one, but really, you don't actually need proxies per se. The censorship is mostly of DNS(Domain Name System) servers, rather than the actual sites. You can simply switch to a foreign DNS server to avoid it, or if you know the site's IP number you can bypass DNS altogether.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:06:55 pm »

Unfortunately for your logic, Bohandas, the sites will not go down. Americans will simply be unable to access them. No other countries would likely be affected, unless they go through an American proxy.

Which sucks, because I hope the international community give congress shit about this.

Ok. Then theoretically I would be able to access them by going through a foreign proxy. How would I do that?
There are many ways. Tor is a good one, but really, you don't actually need proxies per se. The censorship is mostly of DNS(Domain Name System) servers, rather than the actual sites. You can simply switch to a foreign DNS server to avoid it, or if you know the site's IP number you can bypass DNS altogether.

We should write up a document with instructions on how to do these things to bypass the blocks, get everyone who supports this thread and this cause to download a copy to their machine, and then, if* the law is passed we should print out hundreds of copies and hand them out in the street. I can't write it though, as I don't personally know how to set up a web connection in a customized way like that.

*(and only if, so that public awareness of the workarounds does not increase to a point where congress could take notice at a time when they could still act on that notice)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 02:02:30 am »

MAFIAAFIRE is a fun addon, if you want to look it up. It basically ignores DNS blocking.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 2 [3]