Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Siege fended off!  (Read 966 times)

foyra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
First Siege fended off!
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:24:25 pm »

First off, I'd like to say hello. I've been creeping on this forum for a while now, and just recently got into Dwarf Fortress. I took the tutorial on the wiki, and built a functioning fort, with well over a one hundred dwarves, and have been expanding it to suit my needs. Four years after I started the game, I had my first siege just happen. Though I had traps and an alert burrow set up, along with a drawbridge over a moat, I chose to fight them the Dwarfiest way possible (Excluding Magma, Trained Animals, Water, and Megaprojects), head to head. While many were lost, we prevailed. My militia Commander got four of the kills, and due to the lack of iron ores on the map, had the only iron weapon. Seeing my civilian Dwarves rush out to claim the goblins items produced a great deal of fun, and was hilarious to watch. I suppose that's all, but I'd just like to warn the forum, as a new Dwarf roams these halls.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:46:24 pm by foyra »

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Siege fended off!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:28:30 pm »

Technically, its a forum. ( Like those lounges from medieval times. )

Mr. Doc

• Bay Watcher
  • Semi-Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:11:23 am »

My second siege on a recent fortress came right after a FB had decimated my military. I strategically walled off my fortress, opened the secondary exit, and let the clowns out. Hilarity ensued.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:12:34 am »

Greetings from King DZA, resident omnipotent god-king of everything. Kudos on the victory, by the way.

gamewizardinnc

• Bay Watcher
  • Plush rumps as for as the eye can see
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:19:36 am »

Nice. I recently had a siege that was at least 70 strong.  My puny military consisting of 10 legendary, iron-clad Melee Dwarves and ten not as good marksdwarves, rushed to meet them head on. My marksdwarf squad was annihilated and I lost 4 of the other squad, but we prevailed.
I probably won't be the 13th player with the Curse of Failcannon likely hanging in the air like a particularly pungent dog fart

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:27:26 am »

Hey, Foyra. =) Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the victory! You did a lot better than I did my first time with a siege, though... lol   Bet you'll be using military alerts now, eh?  ;D Hope to see more of you around here.  :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand