Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finding Metal, and a couple newb questions.  (Read 1404 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Metal, and a couple newb questions.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 07:11:13 pm »

Just don't forget that you've got the miner locked in somewhere, or he'll die of dehydration.

I wish there was an announcement when a dwarf went from thirsty to dehydrated or hungry to starving, so I could set it to pause and zoom for that announcement. I care a lot more about that than some baby being born.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »

ok but know what your minning and the risks assosiated with them.

candy metal (code name for a metal so fun(literal meaning) it causes fun)
everything else no real danger.

also caves in my opnion are just death traps. i avoid them. discover them find the ore then WALL AND RUN or some FUN LOVIN BEASTIES will come in and make your face turn to mush(meat RAGstog* bloodmagot* he is a huge serpant made if fun metal with no skin or bones, beware of his EYE MELTING FACE ROTING ARM CHOPING BLOOD EATING IRON SNAPING GOLD HATING DWARF HURTING CHICK NORIS'S ASS KICK MEGA SUPER KILL BREATH.) ya this WILL happen and quite often, and HE CAN FLY =}   )

make sure you know that some real life ores don't = metal, stuff like buxite cobaltite and cinabar still don't have practicle uses and cannot be made into bars

and some ores = 2 types of metal and some metals arn't worth the coal. gelena (i HATE this ore) makes lead and silver but tetradite(which is just as common) make copper and silver copper being more useful and more practicle.

some metal cannot be used for weapons/armor. silver can be made into C-bows and hammers but gold cannot and is used for showing off and attacting fun loving goblins. lead is the same way

some metal can be maid into alloys such as bismuth bronze rose gold ect.

and also bismith is unreasonably rare.
and also aluminium is unreasonably rare
and platinium is unreasonably rare
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:37:16 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:24 pm »

Actually, if you embark with materials to make metal gear, you already have everything you need. Let's say you want to embark with stuff to make bronze. 6 wood, 2 malachite or native copper, 2 cassiterite, and an anvil is enough for 4 bronze items (and is cheaper than 4 copper picks and no anvil - 142 vs. 176 points). Build a wood furnace from a malachite, a smelter from a cassiterite, make 6 charcoal, and smelt 2 bronze bars, then build another smelter from a bronze bar, deconstruct the wood furnace and first smelter, make 2 more bronze bars, deconstruct the smelter, build a forge from a bronze and the anvil, and make your first picks. Once you've got those, you can deconstruct the bronze forge and build a new forge from whatever stone you get from mining.

Heck, I routinely embark with enough malachite and cassiterite to make full suits of armor for my initial soldiers, picks and extra axes so everyone can help dig, and early trade goods (in the form of more axes, usually; better chance of top-quality weapons for the warriors). I typically don't get underground until mid-to-late spring, though that's not usually a problem.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:48 pm »

if you generate your own world, you can set how much points you can spend on embark. I dont spend all, but it allows me to take extra picks, since most of the idiots would otherwise just stand and stare at the other 2 working

metal can be found in any layer. If you have embarked in slightly hilly or mountainous terrain (not the biome, but with cliffs) you can see higher cliffs that dont have a dirt covering, often showing gems, metal ores or coal. I usually encounter metal before the 10th level, but since i dont really start my metal industry untill the 2nd winter (1st is when you arrive), its no big deal if i have to look around a bit.

If you have a few soil/clay top layers, use the one just above the rock to quickly move to a new place, then dig down a it, do some explorative mining etc

something nice happens when you hit a cavern. Or something bad. Spores start to infiltrate your corridors, enriching your underground clay, loam and sand with plants. It can be anoying because sometimes trees will grow where you dont want it, but the good thing is, you can now put your animals underground. Also, there are wood producing growths there. In the end, you can move entirely underground. why? Goblins...

at a note, at some point a forgotten beast will enter those caverns. If it can fly, it will fly up and destroy thet hatch and you'll see a lot of FUN. If its a stair made with (d), you can (b), (C), (u) over it to make a stair that only goes up, the way in will be blocked

Doors and hatches will NOT keep the strongest monsters out. Build bridges and raise them to make walls and just make walls. If possible, make it from magma safe stone since apparently they can still melt. Also, make traps, lots of traps. Experts have been advicing the large serrated disc, i tried it with copper, silver and iron and in all cases found it extremely effective, though it tends to splatter and throw bits and pieces around. If i could clean blood easily, i would like to know how.
As last, or first, resort, cages. Cage traps are the most ridiculously overpowered things in this world, being able to hold a full grown dragon that breathes fire with bits of wood or tin or lead or other stuff (tin and lead melt rather easily, wood burns... whats there to hold a firebreathing dragon? And how big is this cage?)

creatures with the tag "trapavoid" will still have to be dealt with tho
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:50:47 am »

Thanks again for all the tips.  I  did some more mining in the rock salt, and still haven't found any metal, but at least the trader has arrived!  So, I'll get a pick that way!

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »

a flying creature will not destroy a hatch that is above it.   As long as it's locked, it is as good of blocker as a raised bridge.  (if it's unlocked the creature will just waltz through).  There is a bug in DF where creatures cannot destroy objects above it/them. 

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »

Thanks again for all the tips.  I  did some more mining in the rock salt, and still haven't found any metal, but at least the trader has arrived!  So, I'll get a pick that way!

look for a cave then hatch up
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms
Pages: 1 [2]