Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital taking too many supplies.  (Read 754 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital taking too many supplies.
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:43:22 pm »

Why is the hospital taking so much stuff?

I just opened it up and put a lot of chests there. Suddenly all of my haulers bring supplies I had prepped. The problem is they are taking everything.
I had the default supply limits, but they are being ignored.
 Here are the stats:

8 Bed
8 Tables
5 Traction Benches
52 Boxes/bags

Thread: 539,985/75,000
Cloth: 630,000/50,000
Splints: 6/5
Crutches: 7/5
Powder for Casts: 3,600/750
Buckets: 23/2
Soap: 9,744/750

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Hospital taking too many supplies.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:49 pm »

It's a known bug - if the hospital is low on any supply, then every single container in the hospital will claim as many of that item as possible. Deconstruct all of the chests to get your cloth and thread back, then just switch your hospital to not store any cloth/thread at all - even if you store them in your hospital, your doctors will tend to go to your cloth/thread stockpiles instead anyways.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:03:05 am »

but he's not short on anything, is he?

not that i can tell at least
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:18:27 am »

Well, I just opened it up, I had a ton of chests already in place before I zoned it.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:22:26 am »

The work around I use is to designate the zone first, before building any containers. Then, forbid all cloth in stocks screen and build containers. Once they are all full of other supplies, you can unforbid your cloth to fill up the rest. I try to unforbid the cheap cloth first to get it used in the hospital, but this is a wasted effort: doctors won't even use the supplies in the hospital. They go to your cloth shop and always pick up the most valuable cloth they can get. Just to piss you off. Also, gypsum plaster is useless, at least in my games. It won't get stored in the hospital even if you have room for it; and doctors won't use it.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 04:18:39 am »

They go to your cloth shop and always pick up the most valuable cloth they can get. Just to piss you off.

The workaround of your workaround is to use burrows. My two doctors only have access to the hospital, their offices (well, they are broker & managers - health care is not a full time job around here) and the common rooms (dorms, dining room and food & booze stockpiles - wells included).
Actually, most of my workforce is "burrow-restricted" to their stocks & workshop areas... The drawback is the need for a 20+ strong dedicated hauler force

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:54 am »

They go to your cloth shop and always pick up the most valuable cloth they can get. Just to piss you off.

The workaround of your workaround is to use burrows. My two doctors only have access to the hospital, their offices (well, they are broker & managers - health care is not a full time job around here) and the common rooms (dorms, dining room and food & booze stockpiles - wells included).
Actually, most of my workforce is "burrow-restricted" to their stocks & workshop areas... The drawback is the need for a 20+ strong dedicated hauler force

*Avoided facedesk that I would have had*
Why didn't I would have thought of that when I build a hospital!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:57:02 am »

Also, gypsum plaster is useless, at least in my games. It won't get stored in the hospital even if you have room for it; and doctors won't use it.
You're playing an old version, then - in version 0.31.25, gypsum plaster is properly stored in hospitals and bone doctors no longer have trouble gathering water when using it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.