Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to get my miners out of a shaft?  (Read 386 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to get my miners out of a shaft?
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:24:07 am »

I was channeling to make a shaft, making sure to build a staircase at each level, but now for some reason my dwarves will not build a staircase at the bottom of the shaft and ALL my miners are stuck down there. I even tried making ramps from down there, but nothing seems to work.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:44:13 am by flamewolf393 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: how to get my miners out of a shaft?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 04:51:06 am »

How'd you make the staircase? Separated from the shaft by a tile of wall?

For a ramp to work, it needs to have a wall next to one of the tiles, and the top of that wall needs to be walkable.
For stairs to work, you need an up stair directly below a down stair. You can slot up/down stairs in between the up stair and the down stair to extend the staircase.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:39:34 am »

When you mine out an up ramp there should be one tile mined out in the level above so I think you should consider that and see if i am mistaken if that mined out space is not adjacent with the stairs then another ramp may be needed as they can't cross an empty space
Love Boat murder

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:27 am »

Try carving a stair off to the side and up two levels. Then link the constructed stair into it.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 01:17:13 pm »

If you're trying to construct a stair...is there somewhere for your dwarf to stand while constructing the stair?

They can't construct a stair on the spot they're standing on.

I think they should be able to construct it from above as well as from the side. If there's a down stair or up/down stair directly above the spot you want the new stairs built, then someone could build it from above...but only if there isn't an item in the way or a dwarf standing on the spot that they want to construct it on.

So if you have a dwarf at the bottom of a 1x1 shaft, you'll need to widen the bottom of the shaft to be able to build a stairway, either so your dwarf can stand next to the stair to build it, or so they can get out of the way of whoever else is building it.

Edit: re-reading, I see you say all your miners are stuck at the bottom, which suggests it isn't likely a 1x1 shaft at the bottom...does any one of your miners have masonry enabled? It's possible you chose a rock that's down there with the miners to be used to build the stairway, and that rock won't be reachable by your mason if they're trying to build the stairway from above.

On the other hand, if you're sure you chose a rock that's up above, that your mason can reach...is there a rock that's in the way? The mason won't be able to reach the square that they're building the stairs on in order to move that rock out of the way, so you'd have to dump it and set up a garbage zone down where one of your miners are, so they can dump the rock and get it out of the mason's way.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:23:15 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »