Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any tips for terrifying?  (Read 517 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any tips for terrifying?
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:59:40 pm »

I have yet to ever use military dwarves, but I was bored with my easy peaceful maps. So I have decided to try a terrifying map. I started up with 2 dwarves as axe/marksmen, 3 miner/masons, 1woodcutter/carpenter, and 1 farmer/brewer. I am in a mountain with plenty of trees, and the nearby surface valley is so deep that there is minerals and gems exposed to the sunlight! The only critters I see are yaks, nothing else.

Whats tips and suggestions do you have for me? What is the first things I should do and what do I need to really watch out for?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for terrifying?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:36:58 pm »

If you've got an undead biome, the skeletons or zombies will eventually come into your fort proper. However, they're so frail that even a single line of fairly weak weapon traps will be sufficient to take them out. If you're in a non-undead evil biome, there's not really much to worry about; most evil creatures aren't any more hostile than large predators. A line of weapon traps at your entrances might still be a good idea, if nothing else to stop annoying job interruptions, but isn't really needed.

Basically, get underground as quick as you can and if you get a job interruption by a wild animal, be sure to zoom to it quickly and make sure it's not something actually dangerous, and dispatch your soldiers if it is. If you survive the first two weeks, you'll probably be fine for the long haul; the main danger of Evil biomes is starting directly next to some dangerous wildlife or undead that instantly attack and wipe you out.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

The only thing I have seen so far are yaks, and dark gnomes. Too damn peaceful.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »

Dark gnomes means it's a non-undead evil biome. The worst you'll get are werewolves, harpies, and ogres.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Billfred

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 12:05:38 am »

My only experience with terrifying embarks are werewolves. At first I took great efforts to avoid the one roaming around the map but when it got close and I sent a military dwarf after it, it ran away. Not once did it attempt to fight back and was evetually beaten to death by my inexperienced hunter's crossbow as he had no ammunition.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:14:50 am »

I find that telling them that the shadows they see moving in the corners of their vision know that you can see them, and so they are going to get you.

Works pretty well to terrify a 8-10 year old.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:55 am »

If you don't mind re-embarking, taking bronze ores (3 casserite and 3 copper), some(8 ish) bit. coal, 1 charcoal and about 6-8 dogs. The dogs will take care of a lot of undead or evils for you (even untrained) and they breed like rabbits. As soon as you can, make either 3 picks and 3 axes out of your bronze ores, or 6 serrated discs. The picks/axes help tremendously in combat (evils are unarmoured and die very quickly to bronze) as well as letting you get underground quickly or scavenge all the wood you can before it dies/is too dangerous. The discs will provide a passive defensive (if you want that instead), with 2 discs per trap on a three wide corridor, you'll get 6 attacks which will mostly kill them. It vaporises undead nicely and disables/kills other evils most of the time. Dogs and a dwarf with a crossbow will finish them. It's a nice thing to add 1 point off ambusher to any military-only dwarf, it's a free weapon and a tiny bit of armour for 1 embark point.

I tend to set up a smelter, a metalsmith and a carpenter's workshop (for shields) straight away on evil or mixed/evil embarks. A furnace operator, a carpenter and a metal smith and you'll have the lot done in 10 days if you have coal. You never know what you'll get, so prepare as early as possible. Undead giant badgers are a nuisance with bronze and dogs, a terror without.
It's a game. Have fun.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:40 am »

From my experience, the critters you will fight wont pose a problem to soldiers, but can easily kill your civvies if they are caught unawares.

The main thing you have to do is control where your population can go and where the wildlife can,  you can do a bit of landscaping (remove ramps on hills) to turn them valleys into choke points- use walls at said chokepoints and you can easily make large areas of the surface safe (unless you have harpies at you, then you will need marksdwarves set to guard the surface)

Generally speaking,  check the units screen every once in a while, and if there are ogres, werewolves or anything else nasty like that, send some soldiers to take care of them before they smash up your woodcutters.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:50:33 am »

From my experience, the critters you will fight wont pose a problem to soldiers, but can easily kill your civvies if they are caught unawares.

Save for the Giant... Skeletal... BADGERS!!!! I've had embarks die in under a minute from those dang things before. Grrrr... ;)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 11:54:10 am »

Save for the Giant... Skeletal... BADGERS!!!! I've had embarks die in under a minute from those dang things before. Grrrr... ;)

Skeletal Elks and Skeletal Muskoxes. After Hellcannon, I don't think I'll ever embark on a evil tundra again.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?