Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelter Not useable. Dispite having everything...  (Read 500 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smelter Not useable. Dispite having everything...
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:17:27 am »

Now this is odd... I can't seem to work out why its doing this...

I just recently moved my Smelter from outside to inside from the start of the game, where I smelted and made a ton of bronze. Now I set it up inside with a Ton of Coke and Charcoal (haven't hit Magma yet) yet for some reason EVERYTHING is unelectable, despite having the ore and such. I opened a job with the Job Manager and its fine that way, I got some ore. But I don't want to have to hunt down what kinda ore I want to smelt every time to make one item or such...

Has anyone had this happen before???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter Not useable. Dispite having everything...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:42:45 am »

I had something like this happen, but it only prevented me making pig iron and steel. The issue was a burrow. I was told there's a bug involving smelters and burrows. I "fixed" the problem by unburrowing the smelter area, but I think you can try a number of things (like just making the burrow inactive, or removing the burrow and then replacing it) and see if they work.

hope that helped

-nightwhips
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:17:38 am »

I had something like this happen, but it only prevented me making pig iron and steel. The issue was a burrow. I was told there's a bug involving smelters and burrows. I "fixed" the problem by unburrowing the smelter area, but I think you can try a number of things (like just making the burrow inactive, or removing the burrow and then replacing it) and see if they work.

hope that helped

-nightwhips
Yeah the Smelter was in a borrow that is so odd...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »

Personally, I haven't run into this bug, but I've seen it suggested that having all the materials your workers want to use for smelting in the same burrow as the smelter usually makes smelting work the way it's supposed to. I've also seen it said that moving all needed materials into the burrow doesn't always solve the problem, but it's worth a try if you want to keep that burrow.

The only burrow I've used so far is one that covers the entire inside/safe area of my fort, attached to an alert used to tell dwarves to head inside if there's a siege, that burrow covers the smelters and doesn't cause a problem.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »

I often ran into this bug : some smelting jobs (often alloy making, like pig iron or rose gold) can't be selected manually from the smelter, and you have to pass an order with the manager to "unlock" them.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »

Dunno about smelters, but I always seem to build my stills in unreachable corners.  Always!  Is your smelter still accessible to the coke and coal piles?  Mine the walls away around it, and see if that doesn't help.  *shrug*

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.