Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rock layers  (Read 504 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
rock layers
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »

is there any way to predict what kind of rock layers are in the region? I never seem to hit early iron and flux. Either there is no flux or the iron is very deep. I do often encounter copper and tin together (casserite/tetrahedrite)

so where are sedimentary, meta-thingy or igneous rocks? which biomes? since my latest experience made it seem very random (temperate, where i havnt had much but shale and gabbro, suddenly on a new try full of obsidian (never ever encountered it before)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: rock layers
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:23:02 pm »

Unfortunately, there's currently no way to tell with any certainty. You could seek sites with multiple shallow metals; such sites almost always have sedimentary stone. Every site also has some igneous intrusive stone way down deep, and most seem to have metamorphic layers above that bottommost igneous layer.

If you really want iron and flux, try reducing the minerals scarcity in your world gen parameters, and also try to find sites with flux and multiple shallow metals. Since most forms of flux are sedimentary and will thus always appear near the surface, and sedimentary layers can have every iron ore, the metals in sedimentary layers are reasonably likely to include iron and to be shallow.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

been there, dont that, no luck so far, or i wouldnt have asked. In embarks rich in the most wonderful magnetite, i never get flux. When i get flux, i only seem to strike worthless metals like lead, copper, tin and zinc

on the other hand, both a long line of iron, silver or copper serrated discs seem to take anything appart that doesnt fly, so steel is not absolutely needed, but it sort of spoils the fun of the FUN
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:13:37 pm »

sorry for double posting but i dont know how to bump for another question.

I want to assign all my male wardogs to cages and the females to patrol gate areas. (yeah, some males can join in patrolling)

female pups will carry on the line if they all get slaghtered

however, the u menu doesnt correspond completely with the i > N menu, or the q > a

is there any way i can easily tell females from males?right now i have to do it at a 1 dog per go basis

regardless of breeding, I'm sure 150 wardogs will tear apart anything that triggers the presure plate, or when i throw the switch. I got as far as 30 last try before having too much fun (30 war dogs, 10 dogs and 15 pups)

but still, any easy way to seperate them? there are peacocks and peahens, bull yak and cow yak, but only dog and dog. Same with cats actually...
maybe because female dogs are bitches and female cats are pussy? is it cencored?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »

It's not censored, it's just not defined.  Domestic birds have CASTE_NAME defined separately for the male and female castes, dogs and cats don't.  This is fairly easy to correct with modding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

regardless of breeding, I'm sure 150 wardogs will tear apart anything that triggers the presure plate, or when i throw the switch. I got as far as 30 last try before having too much fun (30 war dogs, 10 dogs and 15 pups)
Unfortunately there are some complications. DF has a limit of 50 animals and after it is reached all new pregnancies are blocked, but all current are finished. Therefore, I guess that about 100 dogs is max, unless you mod in multiple litter to be hundreds of puppies :-\

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:11:00 pm »

aw, there goes my dog pit

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »

Just give something a truly enormous litter size and use them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!