Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Demonstration training...  (Read 2107 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demonstration training...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:42 pm »

This is another reason I can't wait for the next update.  From what I've seen we will be getting much better notices about what exactly the problem is that causes the "soldier cannot follow orders" message.

realllly?! I hadn't read that in the dev notes... do you know where you read it?  If it's true that might actually be the new feature I'm most excited about!

--nomad_delta

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 11:19:44 pm »

OH MY ARMOK

Well, I figured out what was causing it. Somehow half of them had picked up palm shields, which is why they were getting equipment mismatches...
Then after five hours of progress on my military my game crashed as I was saving.

I'm starting a new world, and maybe I'll be able to armor up by the time the gobbos come, the main reason all my dwarves were dying was because I got like three 20-dwarf waves so I had sieges on year 2 or 3
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »

Train up an army of crossbowdwarves for me.
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 06:29:35 am »

I was just messing with markdwarves last night, for my first time since 40d.

What I learned is this: Marksdwarves need a training barracks in addition to an archery range. Sometimes they want to do non-archery-related training things, like demonstrations. If they don't have a training barracks, they can't do those things, so you get "cannot follow orders."

Also, each individual archery target does in fact need to be its own room, even if the targets overlap. I set up five targets, designated the one in the middle as an archery range that encompassed all five, and my marksdwarves only ever practiced one-at-a-time using the middle target. When I designated each target as its own room, and set the marksdwarf squad to train there, they began to practice in twos and threes instead of just one-at-a-time.

What I've not figured out how to do yet, though, is keep my greenboys from rushing into melee combat. During the fun times I have them stationed atop two one-z-level-high towers on either side of my drawbridge, giving them a broad field of fire. But when the bad guys get about halfway across the bridge, the greenboys forsake their iron bolts and sally forth, completely failing to give my melee dwarves sniper coverage from safety.

They did manage to wipe out a squad of goblin lashers that came as the first wave of a siege before they ever got to the bridge, though, so I'm tentatively keeping them.
Pages: 1 [2]