Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The worlds most massive cave in  (Read 1928 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: The worlds most massive cave in
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 10:16:54 am »

Screens or you're lying.
What peskyninja said, and also, vid it on youtube, or it didn't happen. 

Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 12:45:10 pm »

Granted, I hate everybody.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

I'm not seeing the problem here?

People have dug out the perimeter of a map. You can't dig the tiles touching the edge but you can dig the tiles touching those just fine. Several previous cave-in attempts like this have led to weird stuff happening, with massive fissures across the slab for no real reason. Proof isn't necessary but appreciated.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 03:17:26 pm »

People have dug out the perimeter of a map. You can't dig the tiles touching the edge but you can dig the tiles touching those just fine. Several previous cave-in attempts like this have led to weird stuff happening, with massive fissures across the slab for no real reason. Proof isn't necessary but appreciated.

The problem here was that the OP stated that some things happened (like saying that all of the 50 natural stone layers in the cave-in were destroyed) that don't actually happen in-game. Combined with the fact that this is a very time-consuming thing (as I said before, I've tried it), which makes us believe that the person is just making this up and is the reason why we are asking for proof. In order to have what the OP said happen, you would actually need to dig out every single stone for the top 50 layers, channel a frame 1 tile in from the map edge, and then deconstruct the supports you were using to hold the 50 z-levels up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »

I see a problem.  The first and biggest is that his miner lived, that mined the last rock.  He doesn't use a support, he claims to have sent a dwarf in to mine out the last rock.  That is a screaming impossibility.

The second problem, is the channeling of the edge layer.  It cannot be mined or channeled.  Only smoothed, engraved and fortified, if its rock, of course.

-50 layers, in one cave in and he didn't see any caverns??  Odd.  He should have seen mini cave ins from caverns in a default worldgen. 

I gotta try it, and see if its possible.  I don't think Flamewolf's a liar. I am just a skeptic.  Can't try it now, tho.  In a big siege.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2]