Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Control of flying Fun  (Read 346 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Control of flying Fun
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »

So, I'm playing Genesis mod, complete with flying Illithids with flesh-rotting gas syndrome... but since goblins have flying mounts in vanilla, not to mention Rocs and the odd [FLIER] titan, I figured this question would fit here rather than the Modding forum. Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to do the following: build a tower, and build a floor over the whole map on some above-ground z-level, all the way to the map edges. Fliers spawning below would never be able to get over that... right?

Things I'm not sure about:
-do fliers always enter the map on ground level, and never in the air?
-can they leave the map, ascend offscreen, and re-enter map above that floor?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Control of flying Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »

They will actually spawn on the floor tiles that touch the edges - even if they don't have flying mounts!  Any walkable edge tile is considered a valid point for invaders to spawn, even artificial floors that they should never be able to reach.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Control of flying Fun
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:14 pm »

do we still have that "invaders spawn in squares" thing? so that a 4x6 fortress can have enemies spawn inside the actual fort?

if my memory serves me the "spawn in squares" means that they spawn within a 4x4 or 3x3 or whatever area. if you have a different map like 4x6 they can spawn at the edges of the central "square" and not at the actual edges of the map
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.