Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limited population embark  (Read 499 times)

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Limited population embark
« on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:05 pm »

Been thinking about starting a fort up where I set a population cap of about 20-30.
So small population, thriving fort.
Seems like it should work, each dwarf having a singular job that they do.
Along with 5-10 people just set to military then another 5 as probally teamsters that would only be around for hauling.

How do you think this would all work out?
You... You're about to weaponize chickens. You are my hero.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limited population embark
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:23 pm »

Well, I always though about it and realised that even though you won't be able to mass produce anything, you won't NEED to mass produce anything so it works perfects in theory.

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:23 pm »

Question arises though.
With a population cap, once you hit that cap but loose dwarfs.
Will migrants still show up?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »

Question arises though.
With a population cap, once you hit that cap but loose dwarfs.
Will migrants still show up?

If your population ever drops below the cap, you can get a migrant wave.  Keep in mind that a migrant wave can be of any allowable size, so you can go well above your pop cap with a migrant wave.  You won't get any more until next time it dips below the cap, but don't be surprised if you get a 20 migrant wave when you're 1 dwarf below the cap.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:19 pm »

Many of my forts are under 50 total population.  You won't get a mayor, which can be a good thing as you won't get mandates.  You probably will not be able to defend against a decent siege or even multiple ambushes with military alone, most of my fortresses use elaborate deathtraps and mechanical killing devices to kill invaders.  Many of the crafting and less commonly used jobs will have at most one dwarf around who can do them well, so losing a single dwarf hurts more.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:54 pm »

I'm running a fort now with a cap of 7 or something..I have 13 dwarves after 2.5 years.  No babies yet.

You can do it, but yeah the migrant waves will mess it up sometimes...i'm worried there are no babies yet. I just wanted to do a fort where growth comes from babies only (but no i didn't adjust their aging process)

Vox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »

Many of my forts are under 50 total population.  You won't get a mayor, which can be a good thing as you won't get mandates.  You probably will not be able to defend against a decent siege or even multiple ambushes with military alone, most of my fortresses use elaborate deathtraps and mechanical killing devices to kill invaders.  Many of the crafting and less commonly used jobs will have at most one dwarf around who can do them well, so losing a single dwarf hurts more.
yeah, and thats what I was worried about too.
Wouldn't feel too bad about using runesmith to replace them though.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:43:11 pm »

I'm running a fort with my pop cap set to 20, and it works fine.  It's not a hard cap, you will almost certainly end up with more dwarves than your cap, but migrant waves stop coming after awhile.  You have to adjust for the late game, but it can be done.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.