Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeding animals  (Read 9372 times)

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Feeding animals
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:19:42 am »

Well, since my dorfs were too slow to catch a goblin snatcher, i've now restrained
a war dog to the entrance of the fortress so the next snatcher will get a nasty surprise.
Unfortunately i couldn't find any hints on the wiki about dogs so yes, does the restrained dog
need food/water and how do i give it to him in case he needs it?

Thanks.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding animals
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:31:05 am »

Well, since my dorfs were too slow to catch a goblin snatcher, i've now restrained
a war dog to the entrance of the fortress so the next snatcher will get a nasty surprise.
Unfortunately i couldn't find any hints on the wiki about dogs so yes, does the restrained dog
need food/water and how do i give it to him in case he needs it?

Thanks.
No animals need water, and dogs aren't grazers so don't need food either :)
Grazing animals (e.g. cows, sheep) should be kept in a pasture with lots of grass (aboveground) or moss (underground, after you've breached at least one cavern), but some larger animals are difficult/impossible to keep successfully (elephants being the classic example, but common domestic animals like a yak or water buffalo which you might get as wagon-pullers at the start of the game can be a pain to keep fed as well)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:37:29 am by pushy »
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:39:38 am »

Thanks. That means that i can just leave him right there i suppose.
Btw, can a single war dog deal with a snatcher or did anyone have a war dog killed by them?

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:53:11 am »

Thanks. That means that i can just leave him right there i suppose.
Btw, can a single war dog deal with a snatcher or did anyone have a war dog killed by them?

It depends, I think if a Kobold really picks up the fight that he will win most of the time.
They'll often just run away and a chained up dog might just get 1 or 2 hits without much result.

The only times my wardogs actually killed snatchers, thieves and such is when they ganged up with 4 - 6 animals and the Kobold dodges incorrectly/falls. (otherwise all other Kobolds have simply ran away)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:57:01 am »

War dogs can still get stabbed reasonably often.  I've had the best luck placing my dogs over my entryway, surrounded by floor grates so that they can see down.  This puts them out of harm's way, and snatchers and thieves just run away as soon as they're seen.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:05:23 am »

Oh okay.
Oh and if a dog gets injured, will it heal?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:18 am »

The Animal Care job isn't working, animals will heal only small stuff like bruises since they can't be patched up in a hospital.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:57:44 am »

I wouldn´t use restraints, because then the dogs can only attack within a very restricted area. Pasture them and they´ll attack hostiles nearby. I´ve seen two of my dogs happily kill one snatcher, but maybe they only got lucky.

If you only want to scare them off - a wandering stray cat will do the same job as well.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:58 am »

Okay, thanks!
Oh and im experimenting in the object testing arena and i wonder
if it's possible to breathe fire as a dragon since i can't find the right button for it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:40 am »

SNATCHERS don't come with weapons. Thieves do. Therefore snatchers shouldn't be able to harm your war dog.

Okay, thanks!
Oh and im experimenting in the object testing arena and i wonder
if it's possible to breathe fire as a dragon since i can't find the right button for it.
'x' while you've taken possession of the dragon.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

zebri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 09:32:35 am »

Thanks for the help!  :)