Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freezing-thawing aquifer tunnel troubles  (Read 676 times)

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
Freezing-thawing aquifer tunnel troubles
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:33:51 am »

I embarked on a map with a freezing autumn-winter / thawing spring-summer temperature, as well as a crossing of 3 rivers. The maps is full of aquifers of 3-4 levels depth on varying areas. I managed to tunnel through a 2 layer aquifer, directly through the roof of a cavern, by using the freezing-digging method on a 5x5 hole and a 3x3 hole below that, then reaching the cavern. Things went fine for a while.

Then spring happened. For no apparent reason, my ENTIRE ice wall tunnel that goes through the aquifer thawed simultaneously (even though I put a floor above the ice earlier and smoothed it).  >:(

Now I have a 5x5 hole and 3x3 hole below that that are generating infinite amounts of water, and are draining into the cavern below.  :-[

I have two options:
a) Waiting for winter to re-freeze the hole, but then I'd still have the problem of the aquifer re-thawing later, not to mention the cavern getting completely flooded by the time winter comes.
b) Stopping the water from flowing somehow.

What should I do?  :-\
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing-thawing aquifer tunnel troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:51:07 am »

*cough* magma *cough*
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing-thawing aquifer tunnel troubles
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:24:35 am »

You need to build walls while the aquifier is frozen.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Aquifier#The_freezing_method