Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering dead animals from cages  (Read 911 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering dead animals from cages
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:41:14 am »

Just noticed something useful. I have a cage stockpile full of assorted wild (untamed) creatures saved up. A lot of them have died from starving or old age?

I noticed the butcher will empty those cages automatically and produce unrotten parts, no longer how long ago the creature in the cage died.  The corpse doesn't start to rot until it is put outside of the cage. What determines why some creatures die in cages and some don't? I have a leapard, some plump helmet men among others that I think have been around for years and are not dead yet.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering dead animals from cages
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 02:02:42 am »

Untamed animals don't starve, tamed animals can't be butchered if they're already dead, and starved animals can't be butchered anyway, so it's probably old age. Some animals have short lifespans and some animals have long lifespans.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:55:04 am »

That, and injuries still have their effect inside cages, so they can die of infection, blood loss, syndromes, etc contacted before they walked into the cage trap.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:19 am »

Another oddity is that items stored in cages do not rot. This proved useful in one of my fortresses from 40d, where the HFS contained a cage containing "elf skin" which I was able to tan into leather (and later turn into an artifact harp) even after a year had passed (since some bars of coal had been ignited by spirits of fire).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.