Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capturing a gigantic panda?  (Read 927 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capturing a gigantic panda?
« on: November 07, 2011, 03:06:06 am »

How would i go about doing this? The wiki suggests capturing and training them.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Capturing a gigantic panda?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 03:44:33 am »

first step, is to open up your raws and change the line in the gigantic panda entry from [pet_exotic] to [pet] then, find a temperate forest site with a LOT of bambo, and keep your eyes peeled for them, to herd towards your traps.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:57:18 am »

Panda's don't make particularly good pets in relation to how hard they are to catch and maintain. You're better off either heading to an untamed wilderness mountain, desert or forest to capture a Giant Eagle, Desert Scorpion or Bear. They don't require constant bamboo feeding and make better pets.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:03:48 am »

Panda's don't make particularly good pets in relation to how hard they are to catch and maintain. You're better off either heading to an untamed wilderness mountain, desert or forest to capture a Giant Eagle, Desert Scorpion or Bear. They don't require constant bamboo feeding and make better pets.
But unlike pandas if they miss your cage traps you can count any (at least for the first two) dwarves aboveground goodbye. As well, only the bears can be trained for war, so you'd need to use good cage placement for Scorpions and Eagles to have them be effective. However, Scorpions are extremely deadly, seeing as they can wield items in their pincers.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:13:34 am »

But unlike pandas if they miss your cage traps you can count any (at least for the first two) dwarves aboveground goodbye. As well, only the bears can be trained for war, so you'd need to use good cage placement for Scorpions and Eagles to have them be effective. However, Scorpions are extremely deadly, seeing as they can wield items in their pincers.
and lets not forget the very fun poison in their tails that melts the brains of any creature unfortunate enough to get stung and survive. IMHO I prefer the scorpions. you cant make them into hunting/war animals, but if you do the traps just right, you wont have to get your dwarves anywhere near them.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:15:07 am »

Hmm... I feel like testing poison's effects on dragon... brb

Oh, and I should add that once tamed Giant Eagles forget how to fly, making them rather useless.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:51:14 pm »

heh, mine didnt; seem to have any trouble flying after training. (of course, I'm using a race with a flier caste, so that has it's own problems..)
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 02:06:37 pm »

Can giant pandas even self-feed?  I thought they were like elephants in being essentially incapable of doing so.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »

Can giant pandas even self-feed?  I thought they were like elephants in being essentially incapable of doing so.

elephant's don't self feed?  That's news to me.  I have an army of war elephants and i've NEVER fed them.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »

I think that elephants are the only ones that die of starvation, Gigantic pandas instead need to use all their time to graze so they don't die to starvation making them kinda useless.

And pets that have been adopted won't need to graze at all, this includes hunting and war animals.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:40:41 pm »

I've captured a panda, and traded one, in both cases I had to butcher them, as they made terrible traps and gladiator animals :(

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:41:19 pm »

So, I can have my army of war elephants, they just need to be trained shortly after being tamed (or growing up) and assigned ASAP after training?  That's excellent news and I shall have to prepare an elephant army.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

So, I can have my army of war elephants, they just need to be trained shortly after being tamed (or growing up) and assigned ASAP after training?  That's excellent news and I shall have to prepare an elephant army.

You would have to change their grazer tag in their raws, elephants are one of the few animals where it is actually impossible to keep tame one's of them alive:/

Also, they will turn on you.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »

I just realized that pet owners really feed their pets. Always thought that owned pets just didn't need food anymore, so yeah, an elephant will die to starvation as it needs more food than it can eat. Oh the poor dwarf who just tries to keep his pet alive.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 03:13:10 pm »

Rhinos will also starve to death, and Bull Moose/Dralthas are so close to the boundary level that unless you are very lucky as well as having a huge pasture they will still slowly starve to death. Also it is certainly possible for grazer pets to starve to death, I have several immigrant hauler pets starve to death because there was no grass in my dining room and their masters were too busy to feed them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.