Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deep should sleeping quarters be? ANd where?  (Read 2089 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How deep should sleeping quarters be? ANd where?
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:29 am »

I normally put my sleeping quarters very deep underground (10 levels or so) to keep away noises from the rest of my industry and trees falling etc...is this extreme?

How close to other industries can I make the sleeping quarters? Do doors etc affect this?

In my largest fort right now (200+ souls) my main sleeping quarters comprise multiple floors and they seem to sleep fine....but I have several rooms for on-duty soldiers inside the above ground keep or just below and it seems that some of them sleep well and others don't.

What are the rules? When I was learning the game the tutorials suggested several levels below ground...and I have never deviated over the past year...but i wonder.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: How deep should sleeping quarters be? ANd where?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:48 am »

One fortress I put my sleeping quarters pretty much right next to my enterance. No negative consequences ever came of that. My sleeping quarters are always micro, save for forts I want to be opulent, or for dorfs i like/nobles and they're all crammed with eachother like a college dorm.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:16:58 am »

Near magma and/or the prison.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:25 am »

I am afraid I don't have an answer but just to throw another example on the fire I usually build mine one or two z-layers under my 'main floor'* and cut out a bunch of 3x3 rooms.  I have never had issues though having a larger room (smoothed and all that) may help out with that.  But the actual answer of "How far removed from noise does a room have to be" I'm afraid I don't know.

*My standard fortress design involves specific floors for specific functions, my main floor is sort of in the middle (usually in the second or third layer of rock) and comprises the vast majority of my industry as well as my main hall and all that so its probably generates the most noise.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

My dwarves tend to get 1x4 or 1x5 rooms to sleep in.  Coffers, cabinet are added later.  I also tend to build them a z level or 2 below my workshops.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:36:25 am »

I basically ignore my dwarves' happiness until I'm sure that they'll survive while I start micromanaging. Basically, I seal them in safely, get workshops/stockpiles/dining room/farms set up, set an area for a graveyard, then smooth and engrave over the entire thing (minus the dining room, I wait until my engravers are legendary for that). Then, and only then, do I even consider making beds. At that point, the living quarters basically end up somewhere that they can all fit in a homogeneous, symmetric, multi-z-level pattern.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:25:05 pm »

well that goes without saying... preferably in the magma sea with many windows--especially for the more noble dwarves who need easy access..i mean a better view of the sea.:)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »

well that goes without saying... preferably in the magma sea with many windows--especially for the more noble dwarves who need easy access..i mean a better view of the sea.:)
It'd universally accepted knowledge that nobles are Armoks chosen ones and, therefore, they have the birthright to be the most in touch with the most sacred of liquids. This is why it's considered good form and healthy for a fortress to give nobles long magma baths.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:17 pm »

As far as I know, the only things in the game that generate noise at all are mining, woodcutting, smoothing/engraving and fighting/training. Everything else is as silent as the grave.

Personally, I just pick out a design from my previous favorites and stick the dining hall/food storage/bedrooms on the most valuable level, like a flux or magnetite cluster.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »

I have my bedrooms right below my workshop level, and I do notice a few unhappy thoughts due to noise every now and then, whether it is actually from the workshops and not something else, I'm not sure.

Although, most of the bedrooms are 5x10, complete with a cabinet and coffer, so it doesn't affect them much anyway.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 03:17:05 pm »

According to the wiki's noise page:

3-4 tiles:
- engraving
- operating water wheel

8 tiles:
- mining
- woodcutting
- removing a construction

16 tiles:
- placing or removing a building
- firing siege engines
- possibly combat

So if you're going to be building/engraving more rooms, it doesn't really matter where you put them. The process of making more rooms, engraving them, and putting furniture in place will make plenty of noise.

I used to put mine at least 9 levels below ground to avoid logging noise. Then I realized that I do very little above ground logging after the first year or two, because I can import enough wood once I have magma forges set up, so it's not really much of an issue.

So now I just don't worry about it. I see a few bad thoughts, but not enough to worry about.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 04:58:20 pm »

I normally dont have the problem. I need 4-5 Z-levels that are above the Caves and far enought below the surface, to have the needed space in engraveble stone. So i need a 29x29x5 block for it. (Yes, i nearly always give all my dorfs a 5x5 room. My actual fortress is an exception, that i gives normal dorfs an 2x4 room with 2 windows showing the pressured magmapipe for the magmacannon. And 7x7 rooms for the nobles with the windowed magmapipe in the center)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »

I put housing near the middle of my fort's useful levels, generally within 1z of the workshops.  Usually, it ends up being the 3rd or 4th stone layer down.  I don't worry about noise, personally
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:24:54 pm »

I usually try to put the bedrooms all on one z-level, within a couple levels of the workshops and dining hall, just so everything is close by.  Sometimes I try to put them in a mineral vein, to bolster the room quality, but I keep in mind the saying, "You get the floors, I get the ores."
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.