Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Fort Necessities  (Read 1118 times)

hawk767

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Fort Necessities
« on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:23 am »

Hope this is the right place for this.

I was thinking of doing a Let's Play for Dwarf Fortress. I've played this game plenty. I was struck by a fey mood many a times over the last year and a half that I've started playing, tried making something amazing then falling melancholy as my fortress fell apart (though thats the fun of course and I've always gone back.) Anyways I've always been interested in the design of the fortress. The room layout, defense positions, and of course the grand dining hall which I always make to big.

What I've also always been interested in is how people create sewer systems in their forts. How they have waterfalls creating mist down hallways and in dining halls and even in dwarf rooms creating happy thoughts.

What I want to do with the fortress for my LP is to add things I've never done before. I don't think I've ever seen video of a fort with waterfalls inside, a working sewer system, and even rooms with plumbing. I just like the idea of making the fort more "real" and making every dwarf as happy as possible. I've usually focused on military and not on fort design then had my military fall anyways.

So I'm curious if there are any videos or images of forts with these sorts of features. Things that are there to make dwarfs happy or make the fortress look good. On top of that what about intricate traps, defenses, and really anything interesting in a fort. I've looked through everything on the wiki and most of it I have seen before or attempted. I'd just like my fort to be a little more interesting with design and it wold just be nice to know how to do these things ^^.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WeBmaster767?feature=mhee For the sake of shameless advertising so people can watch the LP when I get enough of a plan brought up for it.

Thanks,

Hawk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:22:25 am by hawk767 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Fort Necessities
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:49:07 am »

some guides like

"how to make a well with drinkable water without having FUN with flooding"
"preventing too much FUN with goblins"
"drawbridge FUN (a.k.a. Dwarf Atom Smasher)"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

hawk767

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Fort Necessities
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:13 am »

Well I've been looking about the map archive and finding a lot of really cool projects. I really like the constructions that are centered on appearance and not complete and utter efficiency (I'm not sure if thats undwarfy or not).

I guess a better question then would be if anyone knows of any good examples of maps that show things like sewer systems, plumbing or whatever else. I think the wiki needs a good plumbing guide ^^.

After getting to the point where I can effectively survive any siege, especially with traps, I'd like to have more to do that the basic; dig for metals, dig for caverns, make lots of trade goods, sell to merchants, kill elves, and rinse repeat. Building projects have always been interesting to me but I've never known where to start. With my coming LP I plan to really figure out what to do with the fort and come up with the design. Therefore I want to design the fort around looks as well as efficiency. As far as I know you pretty much have to do this in order to get things like plumbing and such working well.