Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Forgotten Beast Rotinom Viruscomputations has come!  (Read 2110 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
The Forgotten Beast Rotinom Viruscomputations has come!
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:20 am »

So.. My computer's infected with the aforementioned virus, 'Rotinom', and it's eating my harddrive space like a small piece of metal submerged in industrial grade acid. It currently sleeps in the Virus Vault of AVG, and I don't know what I should do to properly remove it from existence.

1. How does it operate?
I've read that it occupies precious harddrive space by replicating itself somewhere in Appdata\Local, but does it spread to ordinary, generally safe programs?

Which leads me to my next question...

Does it spread to other partitions and harddrives?
By spread, I mean, infect perfectly normal programs in other partitions too? My FL Studio is in danger of getting deleted, since it's also in the Virus Vault, and I'm not releasing or deleting anything until I understand everything perfectly.

How would one person go around in order to destroy it utterly?
I am not going to take any chances if it still can spread in my computer if it's released. I also want my lost disk space returned, since I was forced to uninstall Fallout 3 and Mass Effect (1) to get leverage.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Beast Rotinom Viruscomputations has come!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:39:52 am »

Well, I'd suggest popping out the hard drive and bringing it to a friend who has some sort of serious AV package (Kaspersky, etc), so that you can run a full scan without threatening either system much.

If you want, you can try downloading the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, or an analogue, and running that. Ideally that should rid you of the virus itself, but I've no idea how to recover the space it's guzzled up - I've never encountered that particular virus before.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:14:05 am »

I'd suggest Malwarebytes, it's no good for protecting your system, but it's very good at cleaning these things out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:13:14 am »

I'd suggest Malwarebytes, it's no good for protecting your system, but it's very good at cleaning these things out.

+1. Malwarebytes helped me kill the Win7 Security rogue AV, which gave me massive trouble.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:28:32 am »

Kaspersky is the best security system I've ever had. It has always been able to clear out viruses (so long as I fiddle with the settings a bit, Deep Scan for the win) and has generally protected my computer from infection in the first place. If you want to get an security system to deal with this, Kaspersky is your best bet, in my opinion.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

Well, I read through a bunch more of them guides, and discovered that:

1. The virus remains in the infected partition, and does not spread to other partitions, effectively making the unaffected partitions immune.

2. The virus stores it's stolen bulk of data in Username\AppData\Local, and I have to attempt to delete all the files in Local.

3. The virus is easily removable, and I shouldn't be afraid tossing it away.

So, that solves everything.

I'm considering downloading Malwarebytes if it isn't too much of a resource hog. AVG already eats up a lot even when it's dormant.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:59:56 am »

I don't think malwarebytes even has an active part; at least not that I use. No resources at all except when you tell it to scan. It's really handy for viruses that manage to get on your computer, I have yet to have it fail for me.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:49:34 pm »

I don't think malwarebytes even has an active part; at least not that I use. No resources at all except when you tell it to scan. It's really handy for viruses that manage to get on your computer, I have yet to have it fail for me.

I'm pretty sure the full version is active and not scan-only like the free one. But yes, it's an amazing tool and it's very, very good.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »

Also, try to download all your antivirus stuff from a source that you know to be uninfected, such as a friend's computer. Try to get some boot scan disks, and use them.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 07:11:56 pm »

Quick, you must raid its lair with the legendary malwarebytes sword and slay the fiend. Alternatively if you're familiar enough with your OS, you can identify the process it uses, find its root, and kill it in safe mode, doesn't work with the sneakiest viruses though.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.