Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting down into the circus [MAJOR SPOILERS]  (Read 711 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting down into the circus [MAJOR SPOILERS]
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:12:53 am »

I'm planning my first expedition into the circus, and have hit an obvious but major stumbling block: how do I get down into it??? The candy tube ends in the middle of the ceiling, and then there are a few z-levels of open space before the slade cavern floor. Is there some way to construct downward?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Getting down into the circus [MAJOR SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:34:33 am »

Yes. Build down stairs on the open space, then up/down stairs below them, and so on until you hit the ground.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 11:39:38 am »

To clarify, back in 40d it wasn't possible to build constructions downward into open space, but in 0.31.xx it is allowed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:52 am »

I think your problem isn't the ceiling or stairs bu tthe clows.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 12:13:43 pm »

Thanks folks. I had no idea you could build downward into open spaces.  The clowns are a whole other worry, but I've got a bronze colossus that I'm hoping to put to work.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »

Just posting to say that this building-downwards is news to me, too.  A replacement for the "going to be able to use ropes to get downward access" that still hasn't arrived?

Not that there are that many times I'd want to build downwards, in this manner, but I've recently built some suspended observation/archery rooms, and done so by putting temporary walkways on the Z-1 (from the access level) from which I'd build the up-stairs...  And now I learn that I could probably have done most of that work (excepting getting the corner fortifications in place, which still need a temporary floor as scaffold) from the upper level.  I've got two more corners of my embark site to equip with said fortifications, at some point, and I reckon I'll have a go with this method when I finally get around to them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:17:02 pm »

Quote from: Toady One, 01/23/2010 Dev Log
For rope ladders/etc., I didn't want to tackle the two big issues there (pathing and multi-z buildings), so I went ahead with the quick fix, which is allowing you to build stairs most places, including down into an open area. When I get around to the proper solution, that ability will likely be removed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.