Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will assigned wardogs be taken from their pastured zones?  (Read 393 times)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will assigned wardogs be taken from their pastured zones?
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:48:44 am »

And henceforth regard their new master as their place and not the previous pasture, even if they are still assigned to it? Wiki doesn't seem to say

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Will assigned wardogs be taken from their pastured zones?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:23:38 pm »

I think they will stay where they are, but !!Science!! must be done. (you get more accurate results if you light the dogs on fire)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:39:12 pm »

I know that named pets (of whatever type of animal) are happy to stay in an assigned pasture[1].  But, as suggested, I think you should consider experiments because the nature of war (or hunting) beasts might over-ride this.

[1] The only things that I pasture that don't stay there are beasts that get frightened.  They'll happily starve to death, with viable foraging material just outside their assigned boundaries, but merely being within sight of enemies (though inaccessible to them) will force them to run, and spawn a dwarven retrieval job to re-pasture them[2].  That's why I seal in my guard-goslings, or whatever other creature I have might have placed at various observation points around my fort to alert me to sneaky enemies.

[2] When I first used 1x1 pastures for guard-animal hosting, on the open plains, outside my chosen enclosure, it provoked a stream of civvies wandering out of the gate at exactly the time the enemy were streaming towards it.  Fun! :)

AzuredreamsXT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:03:45 pm »

I did some science, and to those interested, pastured war dogs, even after assigned to an owner, will remain pastured and spawn return jobs for dwarves when they stray. When they are assigned however they show the name of dwarf who now owns them, so it's easy to tell which dogs are assigned to dwarves and which aren't.