Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reserve items for Strange Moods  (Read 995 times)

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reserve items for Strange Moods
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:44 pm »

It would be useful to be able to designate items as reserved for use only by Strange Mood dwarves. This way you could have a clothesmaker churning out garments and bags without having to keep an eye on what might be a limited cloth supply; or keep back one of each type of metal bar.

You can currently achieve a similar effect by Forbidding items and remembering to unforbid them when you have a Strange Mood dwarf; but I'd prefer to simply have a Reserved status.

In my vision for this, Reserved items could be moved from storeroom to storeroom if its appropriate (eg, you're still building the fortress and developing more refined storerooms); but can't actually be used by your dwarves unless they're in a Strange Mood.

Ideally, you could also designate a 'Reserved items' storeroom: this would prevent you from having Reserved items in the same bin as non-Reserved trade goods.

TantrumTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reserve items for Strange Moods
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:11:37 pm »

I would rather just have moody dwarfs able use forbidden items. They already claim workshops without your permission, they might as well take items without your permission.
Somewhere along the way this innocent thread about cheese went horribly, horribly wrong.
I'd say it's par for the course. Did you see that crundle thread? That one started out wrong.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:01 pm »

Agreed. There are workarounds at the moment, but having dwarves just straight up take items out be easier. Opinion question; should they be able to take trader's things to satisfy their mood?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:29:14 am »

Depends on the mood and craftsman.  I would expect to see a legendary weapon smith, whilst in an evil mood, remove depot guards, one by one, and then slink off with a steel bar, without ever leaving the ninja strike position.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:18 am »

Agreed. There are workarounds at the moment, but having dwarves just straight up take items out be easier. Opinion question; should they be able to take trader's things to satisfy their mood?
I donīt see a problem if they could. The only problem is if the traders react as if you seized the goods, instead of just getting mildly annoyed as with goods lost to an ambush.

If you worry about the traders being angry at the loss of an item, just trade them more of something else instead.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:22 am »

I think dorfs should make that legendary bone thong instead of what you would like them to make

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

Depends on the mood and craftsman.  I would expect to see a legendary weapon smith, whilst in an evil mood, remove depot guards, one by one, and then slink off with a steel bar, without ever leaving the ninja strike position.
I would expect a legendary weaponsmith to get a personal audience with the awed trader, who gives a generous 2,5% discount and would order banners on his wagons, to be embroidered with "Personal Supplier of Urist the Flashing Hammer, Legendary Weaponsmith and creator of Kilamon, the Iron Blowpipe".
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:07:53 pm »

I don't like this solution. You may want to restrict mood dwarves only to use certain items. But building a seperate restriction for mood dwarves is a poor solution because more generally you want to control preferred raw material types for all dwarves.

I think the current forbidding system is enough. You can make store houses for each item you want to conserve, then forbid all the items in it once full.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »

Yes. Minor diplomatic faux paus that would be. Right up there with stabbing them during the trade debate.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »

Considering how common moods are among dwarves, one would think that dwarven traders at least would be understanding about it.  ;)

"Urist McMoody has been stealing materials from us to make an artifact. Ah well, it's not like that doesn't happen every other week - let's just get on with our lives."

That aside, I would support the notion that moody dwarves simply ignore the forbid tag. They're sort of going crazy and obsessed for a while - makes sense for them not being willing to follow the regular rules.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 05:15:47 am »

Id rather have stone settings (economy/noneconomy) expanded to other materials and uses to be able to set-up more intricate schemes, like:

"limit forgoten beast leather for use by grandmaster or better leatherworkers, only for cloaks and hoods and keep at least three in reserve".

"limit use of gabbro in crafts only to dwarves that are not yet legendary"

"All tallow is free to use for cooking, but keep at least 5 in reserve for soapmaking"

"All tunnel tubes are free to use for anything, but keep at least 3 in reserve for artifacts"