Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about injury  (Read 823 times)

hoylemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about injury
« on: November 05, 2011, 12:30:45 am »

Hi all.

My dwarves sometimes cancel jobs because they are 'too injured', but they arent going to my hospital to get healed, they just keep trying to do the jobs.  How do i fix this?

hoylemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about injury
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:32:22 am »

i think i figured out why he's too injured... he's missing a hand.  What kind of jobs can i give him sans hand?

hoylemd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:41:51 am »

another question:  it's temperate enough in my area that the ponds freeze in the winter, so my dwarves have trouble filling ponds.  I've made a well though that has unfrozen water in it, but i'm still getting "cancelled fill pond - no water source", how do i fix this?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:11:08 am »

Do wells work as a water source? Vaguely remember something to the effect that they do not, for this purpose. Can you access the pool the well draws from? If so, creating a source zone directly may square things up for the bucket brigade.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:14:29 am »

Injured dwarves tend not to go to hospital on their own; only unconscious dwarves get taken there. I think this will happen soon as they fall asleep, though. Having only one hand won't stop a dwarf from doing any job, the guy who is complaining needs his wounds treated before he'll be useful again. And as for the well... well, I'm not sure. Maybe dwarves won't fill from wells?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:17:19 am »

Yes, wells will work.  Ya have to denote the pond activity zone one level above the basin-floor zone.  They don't dump their water buckets onto flat surfaces, only into midair, above the surface, then it drains 1/7, and up and up until it reaches that upper zone of 7/7 ontop of the basin 7/7.  They are slightly different shades of blue, to denote the surfaces and submerged levels.

Handless dwarfs I think can still haul.  They just can't pickup weapons and armor.  We have to take um out of our squads and retire them from service.  They will generate that equip msg repeatively until you do that.  I imagine ya could start a squad of No Uniform if ya really wanted to keep him in some sort of squad, dunno, never tried that.

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 02:22:47 am »

One other thing.  In the Orders ya might want to make sure they are on zone specific drinking.  If your not on zone specific drinking, they will attempt to use frozen ponds, thereby producing that error..  ;D
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:16 am »

How does an unconscious dwarf get taken to the hospital?  Do I need to -build- a hospital first?  What if the dwarf is above ground, half a mile away, and being attacked by a dromedary?  No, I'm not just making it up, that's actually what's going on right now, and I have no clue what to do!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 02:50:16 am »

Hospitals are a type of zone(i) that after being placed is turned into a (H)ospital (I think that hotkey is right). A well stocked hospital should have several chests, some beds, and some traction benches and tables placed immediately adjacent to beds. Do not place chairs next to the tables, that is just asking for some idiot dwarf to decide to eat there instead of allow your doctor to perform important surgery. If there are any empty beds in a designated hospital zone, then a dwarf (with nothing else to do at the moment, recover wounded is a low priority task; so low that if it is urgent you might consider editing a dwarf's labor settings to only have Recover Wounded turned on) will travel to a wounded dwarf, pick them up, and carry them to the hospital. At that point when your chief medical dwarf is free they will attempt to diagnose any injured dwarves in the hospital, enabling them to receive treatment.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 03:47:36 am »

How does an unconscious dwarf get taken to the hospital?  Do I need to -build- a hospital first?  What if the dwarf is above ground, half a mile away, and being attacked by a dromedary?  No, I'm not just making it up, that's actually what's going on right now, and I have no clue what to do!!

Well, get someone making coffins. Chances are that the camel will finish off your dwarf well before any militia will get there. Also, send your militia after the camel, otherwise well meaning dwarves will just keep running away from the injured party when the camel scares them off.

Dwarven medical care is, like everything else, somewhat daunting. Here's a couple things I do to make it run more smoothly. I always like to have a specific dwarf or two as a nurse - they, and only they, have the recover wounded and feed patient/prisoners tasks turned on, and these are their only tasks. (Well, maybe also cleaning and burial.) These nurses ought to be dwarves with a high 'Helpfulness' attribute; either look for key words in their description like 'Finds helping others rewarding', or just use Dwarf Therapist. Your doctors ought also to have a high helpfulness, otherwise they may not get around to healing the poor unfortunate. If you need to, burrow (w) your doctors to the hospital zone so that they only do jobs related to healing. Make sure they have all the supplies they need in the zone otherwise they will cancel the medical procedure they're up to. You should add that well to the burrow also, the doctors need to clean patients often. And when they're all done, be sure to let the doctors out of the burrow otherwise they'll starve.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:11:59 am »

I had some goo lying around with a syndrome that caused intermittent light bleeding. Dwarves who stepped in it would cancel with the Too Injured message, toddle off to the hospital and Rest, and then most of  the time they'd be back up before any of the diagnosticians could deal with them. There weren't many cases -- I think at the time there was one child and one miner actively mining (and therefore out of uniform), and I only got one diagnosis. There was no treatment scheduled.

You can extend the medical burrow to cover the food and drink areas and the dining room. Since you're not going to be having your medical dwarves acting as hunters, miners, or woodcutters it's pretty trivial to put them in a squad and give them waterskins. This removes two out of every three 'Drink' jobs and makes the third one take a tick or two at the barrel instead of a day or two. If they're butt-naked they'll need somewhere to store the waterskin. A uniform consisting of only the 'leather armor' item will be sufficient.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »

A bed for ea table and bench, adjacent it?  Oh I didn't know that, I was making lotsa little unassigned recovery bedrooms.  Doh!  No wonder this guy won't get off the traction bench with his fractured toe.  HA!  He's been in traction for almost 2 years now, he's used to Tragedy. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:51 pm »

Two years seems like a long time. Is the toe still fractured?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.