Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: self cleaning well room  (Read 543 times)

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
self cleaning well room
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

Heres the plan: build a well room to flush contaminates dwarve leave behind, away.

You will need:

1 Well (duh)
3 mechanisims
1 hatch
1 grate
1 door

design is crucial as we are dealing with ~water~

first step construct your well room like so
Code: [Select]
***     *=wall
*O*    O=well 
*_*     _=floor
*#*     #=Grate
*D*     D=door

Make sure the well is accessible and usable acording to Well Rules.
the grate needs an open space below it leading down to a drain system.

Now we need a flush tank. To build construct a room off to the side about 3x3x1 squares and EXACTLY 1 Z-level UP from the well. Try to build as close as possible to the well. In the tank cut 1 hole going down to the same level as the well resivior. Cover with hatch.

*+++*   +=constructed floor
*+@+* @=hatch
*+++*

the constructed floor is so you dont end up draining the tank to clean out the shrooms.

now you need to connect your flush tank to well, using a U-bend. due to the nature of water physics in DF the tank must be 1 z level above the well for proper flushing.

side view of system
  well room  #H___# <-flush tank
    DG_O#   # #
     #:#  ### #
     #:#______#

D=door
G=floor grate
H=floor hatch
:= drain to anywhere
_=floor
#=wall/solid surface
now just place your lever (anywhere conveniant). Attach to floor hatch and fill your system.

note: the well shouldn't flood at this stage just fill it to the brim and close the hatch, and fill your flush tank to 7/7 full of water.

Dwarves go in wash themselves and leave grime on the floor.

To operate pull lever and the well floods pushing all contaminates on the floor of into the drain and down into the sewer.

you may want to lock the door for the operation.  ;D

Not responsible for any nobles lost in operation.    :D

This system works by difusion on a controlled scale, allowing you the player to clean a well out without a problem. And in an instant, in case of FB extract. This can be expanded to multiple wells or bigger rooms thus allowing more access to the well just remember to set it up so the well does not backflush and you should be fine.

Another system to slowly but steadly flood the room through the pipeing might also flush out any contaminats in the well piping, or set up the U-bend with its own drain.

I also recomend using constructed floors to prevent any tree growth

Feel free to try this out and post results for ~SCIENCE~
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: self cleaning well room
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »

I have a semi auto cleaning arena, and it can't be cleaned because contaminants on the current version multiply.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

multiplication was turned off i thought?

and I've used this twice now on dorf pus and such.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 04:25:59 pm »

Ace_Warbringer, following topic which addresses well area cleaning issues may be a worthwhile read for you.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:31:59 pm »

huh? my search didn't show it up.

and the damn thing worked again? WTF?

someone try this out i might have a blown copy.
vannila 31.25, no raw edit, no DFhack, but i do have therapist due to large number of dwarves in fort.

Edit: seems like the water is pushing the crap off to the side AWAY from the well into the grate and down into the sewer. With nowhere to go the water flushes the crap off the Floor tile and into the drain,

agian someone else try this as i may have a blown copy.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:38:47 pm by Ace_Warbringer »