Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just venting a bit.  (Read 808 times)

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just venting a bit.
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:05:22 am »

Since I really have nobody to actually talk to about how I am feeling as of late, I will just vent to the internet!

As of late my mood has been steadily declining, at this point I am regularly angry and hostile towards family/friends, when I do not mean to be. It seems (as I have mentioned in the Sad thread) the closer it gets to my sons birthday, the more depressed/angry I get. Since I have moved I have been getting less and less information per week about him, and that includes pictures. He started walking last month, and nobody thought to tell me.

The whole thing is really eating at me. Been out here for going on two months, and I have only had a couple of interviews. I am barely motivated to do anything, even my 'favorite' hobbies. I have managed to start walking every day, but I am forcing myself to do that. At least so far that is panning out with a bit of weight loss.

I have been having some rather odd dreams lately, perhaps the I am stressed, or perhaps it is a way for me to cope. None the less, I dislike them. These 'odd' dreams include my Ex, her new guy, and my son. The first one was me seeing my son for the first time in quite awhile (I knew it was awhile, but couldn't grasp the exact time for some reason.), and the 'new boyfriend' walks in. I stand up (I can feel the room tense), I walk towards him, shake his hand, and give him a hug. Then I wake up feeling like utter shit.

I had another trippy one last night, but this was more of nightmare, kept me up all night. Details are fuzzy, but it ends up with me confronting my ex and her new guy, me yelling at my ex desperately trying to get some sort of reaction out of her, some sort of emotion. And me trying to beat up the ex, but for some reason I couldn't 'raise a fist' to him.

Tl;Dr: Scum Bag Brain.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Just venting a bit.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:58 am »

You're doing more than some do in that situation. Having the willpower to force yourself to do things when you feel like doing absolutely nothing is the first step in pulling yourself out - Because otherwise you just sit around and brood.

Walking is a good thinking activity, and thinking is pretty important when you're down. You need to figure things out in your head before you feel comfortable with it, which may be uncomfortable, but it's probably the best thing you can do. Typically, if you can home in on the reason you feel or act a certain way, it's a lot easier to get to the root of the problem, but a lot of times those roots aren't things we want to think about, so we subconsciously bury them beneath loads of worry, which only makes things worse. You have to dig up some truths about yourself you may not be comfortable with.

Now, when I talk about 'figuring things out', I don't mean acknowledging that you feel like crud and you're dealing with a family breakup from the worst possible standpoint - That's a given. If you want to really figure things out, you need to find out what's driving your emotions, who's behind it, and why they hurt so badly. You'll be learning about yourself, and uncovering fears and worries your subconscious rather pretend don't exist. Be honest and fair to yourself. It's not a comfortable process, but it'll  help, and you'll make yourself much easier to be around.

Once you've found the exact things that are eating at you, figure out which ones you can reasonably do something about. You're not going to be able to change a lot of things about the world, so it's better to focus on the ones you can change, even if there doesn't seem to be too many.

Equally important is finding something to fill your life with. It doesn't have to be equal to or superior to what you had before, but it has to be something worth living for. You know yourself better than I do, but focus on something creative and productive you enjoy or think you might enjoy and make an effort to devote at least an hour a day to it. Pick up drawing, writing, sculpting, music, some medium that you can express yourself in and make yourself good at it. If you already do one of those things, then focus on expressing your emotions, negative and positive, into it. It'll make the experience a lot more rewarding.

You'll find a way to cope eventually, but you can actively make an effort to figure things quickly and get some personal closure. You can't change the world, but you can change yourself.

I hope that helps a little bit - You may have already done all of this. If that's the case, it's just a matter of time, and things will sort themselves out.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just venting a bit.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

Thank you for the kind words and advice.

I know what one of the issues is, but I keep trying to deny it to myself. I am working through it, and already feel a lot better. I am just tired of feeling so unmotivated. I am currently in a long distance relationship with a woman that helped me out quite a lot after my break up. She helps me quite a lot, I have someone to talk to, share some of my feelings with, and just smile.

I have decided to try and knock out one thing that has been nagging me for years, and that is my biological family. I am going to attempt to locate my two brothers, and perhaps my father and mother. I have no idea why I want to, but I just have an urge to locate them. I have first names for the brothers, and approximate birth dates (years), and I have names and birth years for my parents.

So far, my searches have come up with squat...