Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The "What should I buy?" Thread  (Read 1265 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
The "What should I buy?" Thread
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:16:49 am »

Do I really have to explain the title?

I don't expect this thread is really going to live that long, as requests like this don't come up often, but I'd rather make a futile attempt to curb clutter than leave some by the roadside. So, to kick us off: I'm trying to sell an amp, and should be having some dollars come in soon. I haven't bought a shiny new AAA game since God-knows-when, so I'm thinking I'll spend the cash on that. Should I get Dark Souls or Skyrim (either way it'll be X360)?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "What should I buy?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:49 am »

I have not played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, and have no idea what Skyrim will be like, but I'd probably enjoy Skyrim on awesomebox more than the gamebox simply because it's on the awesomebox and mods would make it better (hopefully). So Dark Souls is my vote.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:47 am »

Why buy AAA trash when theres great Indie games on the market? I haven't bought a new release for sooooo long.

That aside, I suppose you could go for Metro 2033 (if you don't already have it), A wonderful game but it's not a new release by any means.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:37:41 am »

Skyrim would be less likely to induce you to throw your controller through your TV and then your TV through the window. Also, Skyrim will have a metric ton of content as well as give you watercooler talk for the next 6 months.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:45:30 am »

Can you even do Skyrim mods on 360?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:38:42 am »

Skyrim would be less likely to induce you to throw your controller through your TV and then your TV through the window.

This is precisely why I've bought Dark Souls ;)
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:32:49 am »

My vote goes to Darksouls, although to be fair, I tend to act more like a lookout for my older brother and research the bosses he's fighting at the moment, sometimes taking over for the harder fights. Skyrim can be fun, and I've already pre-ordered it, so give it a sec until you plan on buying something either way. I can leave my impressions of it here if you'd like when it's released (although it's PC for me).

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 11:37:07 am »

You can mod anything on Xbox with JTAG. Though, keep in mind when I say "mod", I'm talking about very primitive stuff. For instance making guns shoot rockets, NOCLIP, and such; more of cheating really.

Disclaimer: You can see neat stuff: sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:13:59 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

No, and this is why I advise OP to buy Dark Souls for the 360.

I've always know Bethsoft as a maker of less than stellar games with large amounts of PC mod potential (and I'm sure quite a few others are of this opinion as well) - without this element, they become simply lacklustre. I wouldn't have bought Oblivion or Morrowind if it wasn't for the near-infinite amounts of added gameplay value from creating and playing these things, and I doubt I'd find Skyrim compelling at all if it came out without an official Construction Set.

You can mod anything on Xbox with JTAG. Though, keep in mind when I say "mod", I'm talking very primitive stuff. For instance making guns shoot rockets, NOCLIP, and such; more of cheating really.

Disclaimer: You can see neat stuff: sometimes.

Those hacks generally don't fall into the category of Mods as they are more commonly known.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

Huh, you mean stuff that could normally be done with console commands?

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

How much does Skyrim's vanilla campaign mean to you? Do you think you can still get a sizable amount of enjoyment out of it without mods? I played both of the new Fallouts on my PS3 and feel that I enjoyed them to about the same extent I would of as on PC, but that is partially because I didn't care about the gameplay quite as much as I do with the TES series. If you're ok with that, then Skyrim isn't a bad choice. I'm still rather partial to Dark Souls though, but they are both going to be good choices (Unless you are easily frustrated anyway).

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »

Why buy AAA trash when theres great Indie games on the market? I haven't bought a new release for sooooo long.

That aside, I suppose you could go for Metro 2033 (if you don't already have it), A wonderful game but it's not a new release by any means.

Correction: why buy AAA games FOR FULL PRICE when you can buy indie games and 6 month old AAA titles for $10 - $20?

Seriously, even not counting steam sales (which are pretty damn insane sometimes but you're on an xbox) you can pick up most AAA titles for half price or less after a few months... Especially considering due to console limitations the 6 month old game is going to have equal graphics to the brand new game what's the appeal?

That said, if you insist I'd go with skyrim over dark souls, because I love bethesda (yes I even liked oblivion with all it's flaws) and hated demon souls.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:15:25 pm »

Yeah. As someone who used to buy a lot of games on release day.....in the last few years as prices have risen, the quality has fallen in a lot of places and the economy has been shit.....it pays to wait until games have passed their release expectations window and buy it on the cheap. There are not many AAA games coming out today where my reaction is "OMG, I CAN'T WAIT 3 MONTHS FOR THIS!" If anything, indie titles get that reaction from me far more regularly than AAA.

This is mainly why I'm such a fan of Steam. Steam pricing has pretty much dovetailed my attitude about the quality of games coming out over the last few years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:19:42 pm »

I'm in on the Steam bandwagon here, along with going for Indie titles and being late for new arrivals. It's the most price-efficient way of purchase; especially on holidays. Makes up (and for) most of the games on my machine.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »

Correction: why buy AAA games FOR FULL PRICE when you can buy indie games and 6 month old AAA titles for $10 - $20?

Seriously, even not counting steam sales (which are pretty damn insane sometimes but you're on an xbox) you can pick up most AAA titles for half price or less after a few months... Especially considering due to console limitations the 6 month old game is going to have equal graphics to the brand new game what's the appeal?

That said, if you insist I'd go with skyrim over dark souls, because I love bethesda (yes I even liked oblivion with all it's flaws) and hated demon souls.

Adding to this, you could put your $60 to upgrading your PC. You can probably make it into a decent gaming rig for no more than $300.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.