Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I dig out the surface layer?  (Read 529 times)

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I dig out the surface layer?
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:48 pm »

I am trying to do a surface only game, and I want to flatten off a hill top, but I cant mine on the surface layer, and if I try something like putting stairs in, then removing them it still leaves behind a block of furrowed clay. How can I get rid of this?

Also on a related note, I cant get surface crops to grow, because it wont let me build a farm on grass, only on soil/mud.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: How do I dig out the surface layer?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »

You'll have to channel the ground in order to remove it layer by layer like that.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »

try channeling? d->h. Unless I misunderstood your question, that should work. it digs down a layer
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:32:58 pm »

Furrowed clay will eventually grow plants in it if it's above ground, causing it to become indistinguishable from any other soil. It sounds like you had the method right, but were simply impatient about it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

flamewolf393

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:47:57 pm »

Thanks guys.  Armed with this knowledge now I can:

How to build a quick mine shaft as big as you want: Mine out the bottom layer only, then channel down the sides. Massive cavein = instant shaft.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:05:33 pm »

Are you talking about the 'no mud' message? It always seems to do that above ground. If you see green X tiles, you can build, although plots on mountain biome tiles will always tell you that there are no seeds available for that location.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.