Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The unexpected outcome - A story  (Read 1201 times)

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The unexpected outcome - A story
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:44:20 am »

Upon arrival embark site all the water in the area that Was present: a sizable river and a large pond and any other murky pools immediately evaporated and turn a steam. Realizing how hot this environment was I decided to order my men to immediately start digging into the side of a Mountain hopeful they could get away from heat. As they began diging their way inside I realized that did not make the passageway large enough for all seven to dig at the same time this resulted in three of them staying outside until a larger portion of the passageway that that was designated was dugout. As they made their way inside to begin helping to dig I realize that they were beyond help. The three dwarfs were literally melting from their exposure to the heat And their fat reserves  vanished.

I decided to press on hopeful that my men would able to survive this hellish landscape. upon completion of the safe room The injured man begin to make their way outside back to the the wagon To the meetings zone I decided to also start a food stockpile and Ordered them to begin gathering the food and alcohol and quickly Bring it inside. upon their way to the wagon the the alcohol on board reached a critical temperature and detonated setting a flame two yaks that were nearby. The trees themselves began to catch a Flame but not from the detonation. The sheer heat itself began to set the world of flame.

Upon realizing that my men whould not be able to survive in this heat and unable to salvage anything from the detonated wagon I told them to seal themselves off inside the room but Alas it was too late for two of the injured dwarve as they made their way back to The meeting zone. Something resembling the Chronicles of riddick when the purifier walks to his death in sunlight. The two injured men simply cease to exist as they made their way towards the meeting point not even bones were left of them just dust. Realizing that I had no food supplies I ordered my men to begin digging staircases downwards to hopefully find a cave. Upon discovery of such a cave the last of the injured men died in a painful drawn out death. The temperature in the cave was just below scorching And I feared that there may be Enemies lurking in the cave that could easily kill my dwarves. I told them to immediately dig out a small area for a home near the only water source in the cave, a small pond.

I ordered two dwarfs to build furniture while the other dwarves search for food. Upon making a nice little home in the wall I realized that my two dwarfs that were searching for food were conducting a meeting.  Though this was no normal meeting by any sense.  It was a meeting of pain!  For one dwarf was taking out all of her anger on the other helpless individual.  As she was not technically insane and just throwing a tantrum I was unable dispose of her.  But unfortunately until the both of them died from starvation. The one dwarf relentlessly tortured the other individual.

The only two ones left were lucky a mating pair and I decided to press on.  Unfortunately it seemed that gathering the resources in the cave are not sufficient for providing food.  As everything that could be consumed needed to be planted.  Before long my two dwarfs defaulted to searching for a small animal to eat.  But alas there were none in this cave.  My poor dwarfs slowly starved to death hopelessly looking for nourishment.

While that was my story do you guys have any?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:11:07 am by jamesmax »

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: The unexpected outcome - A story
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:46 am »

Very Dwarfy.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:05:10 am »

I once messed with temp values for the hell of it. It was interesting, to say at the least.

Picked a nice ocean site, probably was going to make a fort that'd face the water, but right after embarking the dwarves were greeted by a huge explosion of steam. The ocean vaporised instantly upon arrival, same for all the water that attempted to refill the spot.

That was warning flag #1. #2 came a few moments after I figured I probably messed with the values a bit too much, when I checked my stocks and saw no booze mentioned at all. That too had vaporised instantly. At this point it was the plan to dig like hell into the side of a nearby hill and move everything still intact inside.

At this point my wagon puller animals melted to death. So badly that their corpses instantly disappeared. I also noticed that most of the clothes on my dwarves were gone. Inspecting more, I found that they were being damaged by the enviroment. Some slower than others, I guess some materials were more resistant to heat than others, but eventually they were all running around naked after their silk caps or whatever finally poofed out of existence.

I don't think I played very long on that fort. At least I can't remember doing so. Would have been interesting, although I figure everything trying to arrive, from wild beasts to invaders, would have met the same fate as my animals did.

Funny though that none of the dwarves had the same problem despite lacking any protection from the elements. Or maybe they would have had to stay longer outside like the animals did and the random trips to cool underground kept them alive?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:50:32 am »

I did the same once. I set the max temp to several hundred and the min temp in the negitives. At the poles my dwarfs died as their blood froze in their veins, at the equator my dwarfs melted after I found watching the major river I embarked on evaporate.
I commend you on your bravery to actually attempt to defeat such extremes. Someone needs to weaponise an embark like this!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:40:51 am »

Someone needs to weaponise an embark like this!

If you manage to survive long enough to attract goblins or caravans, they'll just keel over and die when they spawn on the map edge, won't they?  Isn't that weaponized enough?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:53:52 am »

Nice Story, everything burned to hell.

How do you fiddle around with Temp values like that?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:02:19 am »

Nice Story, everything burned to hell.

How do you fiddle around with Temp values like that?

go to advanced parameters and select the size the map you want.  Then you down about three pages worth and you should see temperature min and Max change those from -1000  to  +1000 keep in mind that -1000 will freeze your dwarfs solid and +1000 will evaporate entire oceans in a instant.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:43:59 am »

Also as a protip, if you go edit the values through Notepad, you can edit the values much further.
Probability of map failing to generate is quite high though, and you can't unfortunately have more than 3 cavern layers. Not sure about other limits. It's quite easy though to make a world that starts completely covered in mountains and have super-erosion whittle it down to whatever shape it desires. Won't get any oceans though with this setup. I think.

Didn't really mess too much with the values.

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 01:31:03 am »

Also as a protip, if you go edit the values through Notepad, you can edit the values much further.
Probability of map failing to generate is quite high though, and you can't unfortunately have more than 3 cavern layers. Not sure about other limits. It's quite easy though to make a world that starts completely covered in mountains and have super-erosion whittle it down to whatever shape it desires. Won't get any oceans though with this setup. I think.

Didn't really mess too much with the values.

useing the notepad could you make the air so hot that it melts the ground it self? (it would be funny to edit the game so only items in the game and your men can live in the heat)

If you made it so it was like that but make water, alcohol, food, and crops stay the same then you would have to go deaper the longer you paly (as the gorund would be melting away slowy and the heat would sill burn away water, alcohol and food, and crops) this would force you to go deaper and deaper As the game when on ((If you did not move on your dwarfs would die form hunger and thirst.)(also if you moded the gorund in hell to be like wet stone then you could make crops in hell) (if you could make it and live ther)).

What you think? Its like the mario levels were it forces you to go further as the game gose on BUT WITH DWARFS!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:34:10 am by jamesmax »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:15:22 am »

Indeed this would make a lovely succession fort.